Hi,

Has anyone here read Artemis Fowl series? Thinking about getting it for my kid. Was wondering if it is fine for 8-9 year old kid.

Also, any other recommendations? He loved Diary of the Wimpy Kid, but struggled to get into Harry Potter.

Thanks.

• @BadAdvice@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    411 months ago

I’d pull back the Fowl series for a couple years. It’s got complicated issues involving consent, imprisonment, and violence in those situations that might not be very easy to contextually for someone that young. I was advanced for a reader at that age, but I found a lot of enjoyment in the Redwall series. It had great worldbuilding and an interesting setting for a kid just about that age. They might be a little difficult to get them to actually sit down and read though, as they are definitely larger books for children.

• @dresdenOP
      link
      English
      111 months ago

Yeah, I have seen kind of mixed response to this. So, going to read it myself first, and then decide.

Thanks for your input!

• @BadAdvice@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        211 months ago

It’s hard finding kid appropriate content anymore, especially with relevance to wider literature influences. If you dont mind movies, have you considered Howard Lovecraft animated series?

• @dresdenOP
          link
          English
          211 months ago

Thanks. I have never heard of them, will check them out.

In general, we want to get him to reading, and away from the screens, but if it’s an interesting watch, we can set it for our movie nights.