I wasn’t sure how to name this post so it makes sense, but I’ll explain more here.

I say I’m a kinda new reader because, technically, I have read, it’s just that most were stuff I hated and was forced to in school. The books I’ve read for fun have mostly been as a kid, because afterwards I got turned away by the obligativity of reading what are considered classics in my country.

However, since late last year, I’ve slowly been getting back into reading. For fun this time. I might get criticized for this, but the few I read since then, I downloaded off of the internet. But now I’d like to actually buy them.

With that being said, however, how do you all decide what books to buy? Given that I’m new to (getting back into) reading, I don’t exactly have favorite authors that I could make an educated guess that I’ll enjoy. Buying a book is a gamble, cause the summary could sound interesting, but the story itself could still be bad. This hasn’t been an issue so far, because there’s no risk of not enjoying a book if I pirated it. All I would lose would be the time spent on reading however much before I drop it.

I feel like I will end up spending a lot of time pondering about whether I really want X book and reading or watching spoiler-free reviews. How do you decide what to buy? And how often do you end up not finishing a book you’ve bought?

(An extra question that’s of less importance right now, so feel free to not answer to this next one, unless you want to, but paperback or hardcover? What I’m hearing is paperback being more portable, cheaper and comfortable, while hardcover looks way better. Most of the time I’d be reading at home anyway, so portability doesn’t matter as much for me. But I would very much like it to be comfortable to hold and all and look great on shelves, so I’m undecided, heh).

• @mapiki
    link
    83 days ago

I’ve read over 50 books since the start of the year. I only buy a book after I’ve read it 2-3 times. How? Sign up at your local library! (And keep signing up wherever you can get proof of residence; I’ve managed to collect 4 library cards.) And then find whatever system they have for borrowing e-books (mine work well with Libby). I’ve found that I almost never lack for books. A kindle or e-reader could be a good investment to limit screen time; you can download library e books onto them auite often.

Browsing the physical library is more fun than browsing online for books. Just pick the covers you like, check if the summary sounds fun, and give it a shot. Never feel guilty if you don’t read a book you checked out or put a hold on. Sometimes it just doesn’t sound as good two days later.

• @stellargmite@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      63 days ago

Best thing for me about libraries is librarians. They curate displays which change , put recommended books up, and more. So browsing library is way more interesting than a mainstream bookstore, let alone an online bookstore. Trouble is I often walk away with too many books.

• @ElPsyKongroo@sh.itjust.worksOP
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      2 days ago

I don’t know much about Kindles, to be honest, so I’m operating under lack of knowledge here, but isn’t that technically a tablet of sorts? Or is it less damaging as a screen than a regular tablet?

I’m asking because part of the reason I’d want physical books is because I spend a lot of time in front of screens because I can’t watch anime or play games without a screen. But books can be read without one, so I would like to not do it on my tablet anymore, as I’m currently doing

I’ll look into the library in my city, though.

• They are technically tablets, but you can get ones that use e-ink, and that’s basically like looking at a regular piece of paper. I have one that is backlit, but you can also turn the light off. Plus, those versions of the readers are usually cheaper than the ones that work like regular tablets. I didn’t think I would love it as much as I do, but it’s actually been great, so I’d say it’s worth looking into.