• Flying SquidOP
      link
      fedilink
      315 days ago

It’s honestly ridiculous that cashiers are ever made to stand. I have weak ankles to the point that one or the other will just give out from under me sometimes when I’m just walking down the street. When I used to go ice skating, the skates were always at a steep angle because my ankles couldn’t keep them upright. I also have really flat feet. It’s limited my job prospects a lot over the years.

• Admiral Patrick
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        5 days ago

Yeah, it is very ridiculous. When I check out at the grocery store, I don’t think the cashier is an extra hard worker because they’re standing. I just think corporate is a bunch of d-bags for pointlessly making them stand.

I refuse to use the self-checkouts because they treat you like a thief and are extremely frustrating. Will keep that rant to myself, but it’s a doozy lol.

• @sushibowl@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      64 days ago

Where in the fuck do they force cashiers to stand? Is this some kind of American bullshit? Why would they do that.

• @fpslem@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    215 days ago

Aldi employees do a lot (stocking, cleaning, cashiering, etc.) but are paid relatively well and get solid hours. The stores I have visited seem to retain their workers for long periods, too.

• @Psythik@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    135 days ago

$18-23/hr is still too little to afford rent in all 50 states. Buying a house is not even an option.

• @ravhall
      link
      105 days ago

Housing reform is what we need.

• @Psythik@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        34 days ago

Yes but more importantly we need minimum wage to keep up with the cost of living beyond just housing. Minimum wage should be closer to $30/hr.

• @ravhall
          link
          44 days ago

Houses need to have a fixed increase so they stop being quick investments. Owners should be penalized for renting and flipping. While I agree people need to be able to afford to live, the cost of living will always go up, and the struggle to pass minimum wage laws will always be a problem.