• Draconic NEO
      link
      fedilink
      121 minutes ago

Funny how they have the audacity to complain about this place being botted when their bot problem is so, SO much worse.

• Lvxferre
      link
      fedilink
      166 hours ago

Don’t forget to apply to the No Poop Challenge!

Jokes aside, welcome. It’s a bit messy but fun here. Make sure to take a look at how instances work, for most part you can ignore it but it does improve a lot your experience.

• @OpenStars
        link
        English
        135 hours ago

The top two mistakes I ever made on the Fediverse were unknowingly posting in Chapotraphouse in hexbear.net, and similarly in Lemmygrad.ml. Lemmy was practically unusable for me until I realized I could block those instances (and later lemmy.ml), which improved my happiness here by >99%, no joke.

Definitely it’s worth paying attention to how instances work.

• @7U5K3N@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          34 hours ago

I’m the same way… I don’t like to block people because I want to know what everybody’s saying… But I had to block hex bear. I normally just scroll all and they were everywhere all the time everyday and it just got too much.

• @OpenStars
            link
            English
            33 hours ago

I used to be quite proud of myself for never blocking anyone on Reddit, ever. Also I was a mod of a couple of gaming subs, so it wouldn’t have worked in those anyway:-). But eventually I realized… it wasn’t helping my state of mind, and rather it was affecting my irl relationships too. So I stepped back from modding, and finally blocked a particularly onerous troll account that I did not want to ban as a mod, but I sure did enjoy blocking him as a normal user.:-)

There’s a saying about the only thing we must not tolerate is intolerance, and it doesn’t quite go far enough imho as to state the consequences of failing to block intolerance - that they drag us down to become more like them:-(.

• Lvxferre
              link
              fedilink
              152 minutes ago

and finally blocked a particularly onerous troll account that I did not want to ban as a mod, but I sure did enjoy blocking him as a normal user.:-)

Just for curiosity, what was the troll doing?

I got a few of them from my Reddit mod times too, but since I was moderating smaller subs I had some freedom to tweak the rules towards their behaviour. (Because if I’m getting annoyed by the troll, odds are that other members are too.)

• @GooberEar@lemmy.wtf
    link
    fedilink
    English
    74 hours ago

Somewhat tangential question: Why do so many sites have links to an external status monitoring site, but when the site is down and you go to check the status on that external status monitoring site, it says everything’s fine? What’s the point of the status site if it doesn’t actually acknowledge that there’s any sort of outage nor provide any info on it?

• Ech
      link
      fedilink
      English
      94 hours ago

I don’t get it either. I know a lot of lemmy users have an axe to grind with reddit, but treating every temporary outage like it’s dead forever is just bizarre.

• @FeelzGoodMan420@eviltoast.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        4 hours ago

It’s like honestly delusional behavior. Just a huge echo chamber repeating the same boring shit over and over. It’s ironic because one of the reasons that people came to Lemmy was to eacape the Reddit circklejerk culture.

• @BossDj@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          44 hours ago

On top of it, this is fucking Daily Mail. They fell for a Daily Mail shock value story.

• @0ops@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      34 hours ago

Yeah back when still used reddit I found myself scrolling through the comments of coping redditters on downdetector.com at least once every couple of months I swear, and I was never even that active

• @Grass@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    13 hours ago

When it comes back up the remaining 5 actual human users will have had their accounts taken over to be used by more bots.

• @NutinButNet@hilariouschaos.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    147 hours ago

I was looking something up and of course Reddit came up but kept telling me “YOU BROKE REDDIT”.

What a shitty way to express an issue that your site is causing for users. Just go ahead and blame the users. That’s great for noobs who don’t know anything and will legitimately think they did something wrong on their end.

• The Quuuuuill
      link
      fedilink
      English
      77 hours ago

why do honest communicstion when yould instead make people feel guilty and coerce them into coming back

• @Cryophilia@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        45 hours ago

Look, I hate reddit as much as the next person, but if you don’t realize that page is a joke, you’re too dumb for the internet.

• @OpenStars
          link
          English
          14 hours ago

Of course it’s a joke, but also…

img

Whether intentional or not, it does kinda reflect the spirit of toxic insensitivity. Also, however it started, they left it that way even after this fact was pointed out to them.

• The Quuuuuill
            link
            fedilink
            English
            24 hours ago

Ding ding ding. Its possible to pass off dark patterns as jokes and jokes to become dark patterns when the joke isn’t funny anymore

• @OpenStars
              link
              English
              13 hours ago

It’s the same reason the KKK wears masks - cowards like to hide behind dog whistle language, when they feel disinclined to face any actual consequences of their beliefs and actions.

By that comparison, Reddit’s message isn’t even so bad (as KKK hate speech!:-), but it does look like it may fall into a similar category at least.

Or not - surely its founder is totally a nice guy who really was simply joking around there with the messaging strategy, no toxicity there at all, amiright!?

• @Die4Ever@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    359 hours ago

When my Lemmy instance is down (which is very rare, much more stable than Reddit), I just browse via a different instance!