• LainTrain@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 day ago

I mean, yeah? That’s always been my relationships, I’ve only ever had pretty long-term ones.

Do y’all literally talk to your significant others about the goddamn weather or food every day?

Idk about y’all but in my current relationship I’d usually start with an in-depth analysis of some latest media I consumed or a geopolitical development, we’ll be briefly reflecting upon developments in Palestine or Ukraine or UK politics or the latest on the US election while we share a couple Red Bulls and try new Elfbar flavours.

Sometimes this descends into a hearty debate on economics like whether increased taxation can raise the value of currency through demand creation (technically but it’s not an effective measure), however eventually i will be pivoting into a technology I had learned about or historical context for some such, perhaps reflecting upon my cybersec exploits, relating to my independent study or my dayjob.

At some point she’d relate it to a material or technique she’s been studying for her masters in material engineering, she’d remark on disliking inorganic chemistry, and we’d get into in-jokes, (latest being about Aerobiz 2000 for the Sega Genesis and my interest in the inner workings of an A320 and less than stellar business acumen) which will inevitably make us watch a video essay on YT or play a light game together like Life is Strange or HOI4 or even just listen to some music, later we’d order some Domino’s Pizza and have some intimate times, a couple of nice sweet Barefoot wines and maybe a bit of Kinder Chocolate (not Bueno) for dessert later, we’re asleep.

Sometimes we get nostalgic and talk about what life was like before we met on Tinder or talk about our future dreams, plans and aspirations.

I think smalltalk is okay when you’re in a work meeting and you just want the coworkers to go away as soon as possible and let you get back to sleep, but I’d never date someone who is so socially inept that they would resort to smalltalk.

• ✧✨🌿Allo🌿✨✧@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      19 hours ago

And thus a healthy relationship wherein the individuals are mutually becoming smarter, with better norms, instead of increasing the normalcy of less intelligencegrowing conversation as their minds and norms deteriorate from it. Weird how it’s the rarity.

• LainTrain@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        12 hours ago

I hope it’s not, and this is just twitter being twitter but you never know I suppose. Not worth making assumptions over one tweet, least of all about anything in the real world, nothing further from reality than the average tweeter.