• Buddahriffic@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 minutes ago

Oh no, they were about to do the thing, but then the opposition, in a shocking display of competence, stopped them from doing the thing and did the thing themselves!

This has been a major setback in the quest to gain possession of the large ornament typically given to the most competent group!

• hitsuji_nanka@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 hour ago

How did everyone take this post to mean that you should only do small talk with your partner and not have deeper conversations?

• SoleInvictus@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      57 minutes ago

I think this was written by someone who isn’t comfortable with extended periods of silence with their partner.

My wife and I barely speak or communicate nonverbally for hours sometimes, then talk at great length other times. We always give each other an opportunity to talk about our day or whatever else is important, but we don’t talk about trivial things simply for the sake of talking. We’re comfortable with silence.

• hitsuji_nanka@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 minutes ago

Idk I took it more to mean “wow I don’t want to start a deep, thoughtful conversation the moment I get home from work let me relax for a minute” while at the same time still wanting to talk to your partner. But I guess it’s up to reader interpretation and I do seem to be in the minority here.

• Kalysta@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 hours ago

Pretty sure being in a long term relationship means you’ve moved on from small talk a long time ago.

I don’t want to talk with my wife about the weather, we have more important shit to worry about unless we’re literally having to dodge a tornado.

Small talk is for strangers.

• sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 hours ago

Yup. And if we don’t have anything more important to talk about, we’ll just cuddle. Silence is absolutely fine with people you’re comfortable with.

• phoenixz@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 hours ago

Huh.

Wife and I talk ALL the time about anything and everything, be it the weather, how weather works, of free will exists, the kids, if kids exists, you name it…

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 hours ago

Maybe you’re both extroverts?

We’re both introverts, so we’re totally comfortable just sitting next to each other reading different books, or cuddling on a cold winter night. Sometimes we talk about random stuff, but quite often we’re exhausted from dealing with other people but still want that proximity.

• Smoogs@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 hours ago

I always took it as an early red flag that the person is way too intense and stressful to be around if every conversation has to be a do or die dynamic.

• P00ptart@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 hours ago

It’s not that it has to be that exciting. Just don’t talk endlessly about shit that doesn’t matter. You bought a new kind of mustard, I don’t need a 20 minute explanation on why. To me, someone who can’t exist without noise, or making noise is a red flag. That being said, early on in the relationship is different because you’re still trying to get to know them.

• Xanis@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 hours ago

I’m sorry that’s a red flag. Some of us honestly just want to share what excites us with the person(s) who we are excited to be around.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 hours ago

Yup. If my SO and I don’t have anything more urgent to say, we generally talk about upcoming plans, like next year’s vacations, shopping lists, etc. We almost never talk about the weather unless we’re planning to be out in it.

Been together >10 years, small talk is pretty rare and largely reserved for entertaining guests.

• ByteOnBikes@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 hours ago

As a person who doesn’t really like to talk to most people and believe silence is fine… Let us have this do or die conversation.

Then return back to where you came from.

• Smoogs@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        34 minutes ago

I was here first so no, I’m not going away or to ‘where I cam from’. Especially considering You’re the one who invited yourself here. You seem pretty desperate to have interaction with someone who is fine with small talk. I would have thought you’d catch that drift and go back to where you came… I even left the warning there for you to avoid. I wasn’t exactly hiding it. Small talk isn’t going away. But you can choose to avoid it or cry about it more, fragility.

• pixelscript@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 hours ago

how do people who “hate small talk” plan on being in sustained meaningful relationships

That’s the neat part–I don’t!

• LANIK2000@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 hours ago

If my partner can’t handle silence, then there’s something seriously wrong. We usually have something to do and if we don’t we just cuddle up. There’s no need for constant noise.

• Clbull@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 hours ago

I’ve seen women like that on dating apps. Claim to hate small talk, include in their bio that if you just open with “hi” they’ll unmatch you, and then when you put some thought into actually writing a response, ask a leading question about their interests or what they wrote in their profile, they unmatch you anyway.

#thisiswhyyouresingle

• Fleur_@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    16 hours ago

My interest in talking has more to do with who I’m talking to and less to do with the subject of conversation

• Subtracty@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 hours ago

Same! It isn’t so much the small talk, but being stuck making small talk with a stranger or coworker/distant relation or whatever that you have no interest in speaking to.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 hours ago

This is why I hate getting haircuts. I don’t have any personal relationship with the person cutting my hair. Maybe we’ll find a common interest, but if I could just wear earbuds the whole time and not seem like an asshole, I would. But instead I just shave my head when my hair gets long enough to annoy me.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 hours ago

Which… is pretty much the definition of small talk. If I’m making small talk, it’s because I don’t want you to feel awkward with the silence, which means I don’t know you well enough to know what you prefer.