We are aware of an issue with some clients not being able to sync (receiving 502 errors, etc…). It does not appear to affect all clients and the web view is still working. We will update this post as we know more and when we have resolved it.

Updates:

09-Sept 11:19 PM UTC We attempted to roll back from Lemmy v0.18.4-beta.8 to v0.18.4 (as well as even earlier beta versions) but the service failed to start. We've reverted back to v0.18.4-beta.8 for now and will continue investigating the cause of the sync issues.

10-Sept 3:30 AM UTC And… we are back, where we started. If you hadn't noticed, we were down for almost 2.5 hours while we tried to rollback the database migrations introduced in the beta releases so we could go back to the stable v0.18.4. When that failed, we tried to restore from the backup we took just prior to the rollback attempt. When that failed, we used Digital Ocean's restore to point in time and created a new DB cluster and switched to it. So… we are back on v0.18.4-beta.8 again, with the expectation that 3rd party clients are still broken. Unfortunately, we are not sure what we can do about this as we believe it is something in Lemmy that is breaking it. The mitigation we have put in place to avoid this going forward is that we no longer use the "latest" tag when loading a docker image and now hard lock to a specific version. We will update that version in a more intentional manner going forward.

10-Sept 4:15 AM UTC After some additional digging through the Lemmy diff for beta.5 to beta.8 (and then looking through the PRs that were merged to create this diff), the issue is indeed with the Lemmy code and is even called out in one of the PRs,. What this means is that the 3rd party clients that are not able to access the site will need to update their code to fix things on their side (or else they will be broken when v0.19 is released and all other instances update to it).

16-Sept 11:23 PM UTC Both Sync and Mlem have now released new versions that resolve connectivity issues. If there are any remaining clients we suggest you reach out directly to them to ask them. We'll be unpinning this post in a few hours

27-Sept 10:30 PM UTC We have made the decision to update to the RC (release candidate) for v19 as the beta we were previously on was missing some much-missed admin tools that we need to run the site with. This update appears to have affected 3rd parties again (I have tested Mlem and Memmy and get errors about authentication, however they still seem to load?). There also appears to be an issue with the home page loading that we are currently looking into how to resolve. As before, we don't anticipate any way to roll back. To steal a line from my daughter's favorite movie: Keep Moving Forward

28-Sept 12:03 AM UTC We found an issue with the markdown parsing that was causing the homepage sidebar to throw errors. We've resolved the issue and will update the core developers of Lemmy.

03-Oct 1:28 AM UTC We have implemented a workaround that should have fixed all apps. Please let us know if you are still having issues with an app (we may not be able to add a workaround for it, but we would like to at least track the ones not working)

• lazynooblet
    link
    fedilink
    English
    810 months ago

I made a similar mistake on my instance. My database was corrupted, and after some trial and error, I performed a conscious upgrade to :latest but now I can’t use Sync for Lemmy. /sadface/

• @infinitevalence
    link
    English
    edit-2
    10 months ago

I will live, thanks for working on it!

If people want to make things as app like as possible on Android

1. Open Discuss.online via your phones browser (I use Firefox)

2. Tap on the Kebab (Vertical Ellipsis) menu

3. Select Install or Add to Home Screen

4. Enjoy!

• Bebo
      link
      210 months ago

OK can you explain how to make a post? Do I navigate to subscribed communities, click on respective community then post? I have only ever posted using apps, so am confused.

• @infinitevalence
        link
        English
        310 months ago

Click on the hamburger in the top right of the page and click create post.

You can select the community from there.

• Peter G
    link
    510 months ago

Just got an update on Sync and Discuss.Online is working again! I also tried Liftoff but it does not seem to think that Discuss is a valid instance.

• @Integrate777
    link
    edit-2
    10 months ago

The worst thing about this problem are the apps. I’m using jerboa and voyager webapp. Rather than catching and throwing an error, both of them are crashing completely instead. They really shouldn’t be doing that. I’ve had to disconnect from the wifi and remove the discuss account offline so it wouldn’t crash on launch.

• @FelipeFelop
      link
      English
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Edit: Voyager now updated. Very thankful that my favourite client is back!

Original: I agree, and the developer of Voyager is not responding about the problem. It’s very disappointing.

Liftoff! has the problem but it’s developers are looking into it and have a instance on 0.18.4.8 to test against.

• @FelipeFelop
    link
    edit-2
    9 months ago

Still not working on:

Avelon, photon.app - login fails

alexandrite.app - login gives a message that it’s only compatible with 0.18.1 or newer and fails to login

Voyager - was already logged in. Timeline shows but list of communities won’t load.

Thanks for your efforts but as a user this seems like too much hard work. I’ve reluctantly created an account at lemmy.world. Is there no way that we can’t go back to 0.18.5?

• @FelipeFelop
      link
      edit-2
      9 months ago

Today, I tried Bean. Trying to login gives an error message “Cannot read property “local-user-view” of undefined “

Just to test, I logged out of Voyager. Trying to log in again gives an error

• @FelipeFelop
        link
        29 months ago

The TestFlight version of Avelon now supports 0.19 but it won’t be in the App Store for a few weeks.

• @FelipeFelop
          link
          29 months ago

Voyager has updated to support 0.19

• jgrim of SublinksMA
            link
            29 months ago

Thanks so much for the help testing all of these apps. Super helpful.

• @FelipeFelop
    link
    29 months ago

I can’t find a single app that works with discuss.online. I’ve been told over on Lemmy.world that no apps are currently compatible.

The developers of Liftoff tell me they won’t support 0.19RC at the moment.

I hate the web interface.

Looks like I’ll have to create another account.

• @FelipeFelop
      link
      19 months ago

I’ve been told by a couple more developers that as v0.19 is about a month away they aren’t updating yet.

Is there no way we can downgrade to v0.18.5

• @Zoldyck
    link
    210 months ago

Update: seems to be fixed. It’s working again with Sync for Lemmy.

• jgrim of SublinksMA
    link
    18 months ago

I installed the Memmy testflight version and it works perfectly now. So fixes are coming!