Current Construction Projects:

1. Finish Drywall/sand/paint and install trim to office Door
  2. Kids tree-house base/floor
  3. Main bedroom bath exhaust fan install
  4. Kitchen Range exhaust fan/vent install
  5. Build out fire walls for server room
  6. Finish Fiber pull to server rack and Terminate *new since now I remember I still need to do this too

Current hardware projects:

1. Kids custom 3d printed TLK keyboards
  2. Micro cluster rack mount design
  3. Micro cluster storage solution
  4. De-com old server, ship to Xydros
  5. Move racks to server room
  6. Rebuild rack layout
  7. Add UPS to wireless/nvr/camera equipment

Software Projects:

1. OPNsense/PFsense update
  2. Pihole for DNS
  3. Degoogle storage
  4. Degoogle photos
  5. Degoogle calendar
  6. 3-2-1 bakup solution
  • jgrim of SublinksA
    link
    17 months ago

Are you printing the keycaps too or just the body for “Kids custom 3d printed TLK keyboards”

• @infinitevalenceOP
      link
      English
      27 months ago

I am printing the cases, and doing most of the solder work, but I purchased the PCB’s, switches, and caps. Though I let them kinda pick their own caps out of my selection.

• jgrim of SublinksA
        link
        17 months ago

Very nice. I have a lot of mechanical keyboards, but I’ve never built one custom. I just buy them and maintain them. I want to build my own one day. Once I can think of a unique reason to build verses buy.

• @infinitevalenceOP
          link
          English
          17 months ago

I only build my own now because OEM software is garbage next to QMK/VIA. I used to have a GSKILL Ripjaws Mech board but all the macro keys would only work if the software was running. On top of that it the software would only work when directed connected to the keeb.

Since I use Linux and a physical KVM there was no way for me to take advantage of the extra keys, and I could not control the lighting :(

The final straw was when one of my switches got gummed up and i could not just pull it out and swap it without totally deconstructing the board and desoldering the switch.

So From that point on I will only buy/build boards that support QMK, and are hotswap. If the board is not hotswap by default like the HINEY boards above then I will solder in milmax sockets which convert them into hotswap.

Now that most of my boards are QMK (the cheap Redragon 60 is the only one that is not) I can build all my macro’s into keycodes that work regardless of the operating system, and will pass a KVM with HID emulation.

• jgrim of SublinksA
    link
    17 months ago

These:

• Degoogle storage
    • Degoogle photos
    • Degoogle calendar
    • 3-2-1 bakup solution

It could all be solved with Nextcloud.

• @infinitevalenceOP
      link
      English
      27 months ago

Yep, and its on my list. well the 3-2-1 cant be nextcloud on its own, but I have SSD, spinning rust, tape, just need to replicate off site so was thinking about building a low power “NAS” and keeping it at my inlaws house.

• jgrim of SublinksA
        link
        17 months ago

Good plan. I have my instance backup to B2 from Backblaze. That’s about it for disaster recovery of my NAS.

• @infinitevalenceOP
          link
          English
          17 months ago

B2 is an option, but if I can get my inlaws to let me host on their network it gives me offsite, but local management and I can offer them access too.

• jgrim of SublinksA
    link
    17 months ago

What is “Xydros” and why do they get your old server?

• @infinitevalenceOP
      link
      English
      27 months ago

Xydros is my gimpy friend, he needs a test server and I have an extra dual xeon w/ 96gb of DDR3 that I am finally retiring.

• jgrim of SublinksA
        link
        17 months ago

I thought I was missing out on some crazy new service. Thanks for the clarification.

• jgrim of SublinksA
    link
    17 months ago

Why wireless? I’ve been thinking about doing wired with POE and a UPS. How often do you have to change batteries?

• @infinitevalenceOP
      link
      English
      27 months ago

Cameras are not wireless, I mean the wireless access points. The internet should not go offline just because the house did! But I also have the NVR and cameras on the same POE switch so as a bonus I would be keeping that online as well.

• jgrim of SublinksA
    link
    17 months ago

How did you get a server room and where are you moving it from RE: Move racks to server room Rebuild rack layout

• @infinitevalenceOP
      link
      English
      27 months ago

So I already have a rack in my garage/basement but I want to build physical fire walls around it so if anything catches on fire, or if my UPS goes it wont take my whole house with me.

I also need walls for dust and temperature control since as it is now if its hot in the garage its hot in my servers.

Currently I have this full sized 44u and then a smaller wall mount mount that I would like protected.

So at the moment, I dont really have a server room, but when I am done I will, It will have dedicated 30a 240v, 4h rated firewalls, with rockwool insulation for sound dampening, and filtered air conditioned air. It will also have a lock so my kids cant mess with it.

• jgrim of SublinksA
    link
    17 months ago

Man, you’ve got a lot going on! I have questions about every one of these projects.

• @infinitevalenceOP
      link
      English
      27 months ago

story of my life, and also why I am parallelized under all of it right now.

• @infinitevalenceOP
      link
      English
      17 months ago

also, you should ask questions drive up the content value and encourage participation.

• jgrim of SublinksA
          link
          17 months ago

I should have said later today, working on some other stuff right now. But they’re coming!

• @infinitevalenceOP
            link
            English
            17 months ago

So say us all! I did not even get started on my work list… if i add that to the above i would probably crumble.

• jgrim of SublinksA
    link
    17 months ago

“Pihole for DNS” I did this for a while, but updating the block list was annoying. Random sites and stuff were blocked for my wife. She cannot open email links and things like that. I just got rid of it. I haven’t used pihole for several years now.

• @infinitevalenceOP
      link
      English
      27 months ago

My kids are at an age where I need some control’s and Piehole seemed like the best place, but I am open to suggestions. Ideally I would like to split my house into a kids network, and everything else, so that I can filter and log everything on the kids network.

• jgrim of SublinksA
        link
        17 months ago

You can capture some of the DNS traffic and force it through Pihole, but some apps will try to skirt it by using a different protocol for DNS than just port 53. But capturing all that traffic and forcing it to run through Pihole will help with a bunch of stuff. Are you going to keep logging on and see what kind of sites they visit too then?

• @infinitevalenceOP
          link
          English
          17 months ago

I want logging on eventually. At some point I would like to let my kiddos have the freedom to make mistakes but im not convinced that my youngest will be able to make safe choices until he is MUCH older like 20+

• @infinitevalenceOP
      link
      English
      27 months ago

Steel studs, 2 layers of drywall, rockwoll insulation, emergency power cut switch, and all electrical in steel conduit.

• @infinitevalenceOP
          link
          English
          17 months ago

It is, but it costs less than replacing a house :P And it is not that much more than traditional wood stud framing.

• jgrim of SublinksA
    link
    17 months ago

Are you designing these or just making them:

Micro cluster rack mount design Micro cluster storage solution

• @infinitevalenceOP
      link
      English
      27 months ago

Designing, and 3d printing.

Its based on 3 1L PC’s with 2.5gb and dual 10g networking. I am still working on the storage solution as having SATA cables extending out the back is not working well, and I dont love relying on USB. I just ordered some backplanes for the 11.11 sale on Aliexpress in hopes that I can build a custom disk enclosure. Ideally I would take 4 PCIe lanes out on a mini SAS HD SFF-8639 and plug that right into the external enclosure and simply provide power and cooling at that point.

With these 3 little low power servers I hope to be able to run a small cluster that can be powered for hours off UPS enabling me to get my family off Apple, Amazon, and Google.

• jgrim of SublinksA
        link
        17 months ago

Wow, that’s awesome. Are you planning to share your plans on printables or similar?

• @infinitevalenceOP
          link
          English
          17 months ago

Yes, just need life to stop kicking my ass so I can focus on it again in my spare time.