• qyron@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

So, basically, we don’t know that much on anything besides understanding it’s really complex and difficult to figure out.

• theneverfox@pawb.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Not really. It’s all about models - we have for normal stuff, but it breaks apart in extreme situations

So clearly the model is fundamentally wrong… Which is pretty cool, because it means FTL travel, antigravity, or travel between dimensions could be possible

But we know now normal shit acts - we have models that work perfectly for 99% of all situations, and we’re probably not going to stop using them. We understand what happens when you throw an object, and it’s a basic equation up until like mock-2 or 3, where our models stop working and we have to switch them out completely

Can you build a model that works for both? Absolutely. It’ll be closer to the truth even. But it’ll be way more complicated for nearly all practical, human scale situations

At the end of the day, a model that describes reality exactly is almost useless… Without simplifications to ignore everything not relevant, just trying shit live would be easier than calculating the prediction

• Corkyskog@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

What I don’t understand is if the goal is to eventually be able to model everything perfectly, if we achieve that goal, doesn’t that just mean entropy is a lie?

• no banana@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            10 months ago

The Bible says something about the earth and how it is good and the filament of the sky and something. The Bible that is, at least that’s what I read on the internet. Many fine people on the internet, the best people, but not me, I haven’t said it, but the best people probably. The best people say the earth may be - and I’m not saying it is but they are saying it - they say that the earth may be flat and that doesn’t take much text to cover I have heard.

• MxM111@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Actually, we know everything there is happening in solar system. What we don’t know requires energies or distances or times incomparable with human life.

• bleistift2@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

We don’t know why space spawns. We don’t know why the sun’s corona is hotter than its surface. We don’t know why the sun spins faster around its equator than at its poles. We don’t know why shampoo makes strange squiggles when being poured out of its bottle. Just four things off the top of my head.