• Churbleyimyam@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

If I had enough money for Festool stuff I would probably just pay someone else to do the job instead!

• HelixDab2@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Can confirm, had a vasectomy years ago.

Love the very, very few Festools that I have. But the price is painful.

• slurpeesoforion@startrek.website
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

I dropped my locking, variable speed, single direction, corded drill with the chuck key electrical taped to the cracked plastic cord on a board and the hole I needed formed naturally out of fear.

• nova_ad_vitum@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Its also worth mentioning that adapters are available to convert between battery systems. If you’re on Milwaukee and want to buy a DeWalt palm router (which is superior IMO) then you can just get a converter to use it with a Milwaukee battery. You can keep the converter in the tool itself, and most tools don’t mind this.

The exception is Ryobi. Converters only exist one-way, since Ryobi still uses “stick” type batteries for low voltage stuff. The opposite converter could theoretically exist (say, to use a Ryobi battery with a DeWalt router) but it would be very large and bulky and so nobody really makes them.

• Altima NEO@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Ryobi batteries in general are very bulky. That 12 AH is like strapping a boot to your tools. It’s also seemingly their weak spot, as all I read is people complaining about their batteries.

• SadSadSatellite @lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

House DeWalt: The Builders

House Ryobi: The Slapjobs

House Milwaukee: The wishes they were house DeWalt

House Makita: Quality prevails regardless of how little I use my tools.

Unmentioned:

House Bosch: House Makita but doesn’t like Asians

House Metabo: House Milwaukee but green

House Rigid: wow these are fuckin cheap

House Worx: Tools take a backseat to Yardwork

House Metabo HPT: My wife says they’re great

• JaymesRS@literature.cafe
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

House Bauer/Atlas/Hercules/Warrior: Life is transient, why does your tool or battery need to last longer than the job?

• Altima NEO@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

Nah Makita is trash, unless you’re talking LXT, which is 36 volt. Most of the Milwaukee stuff comes out on top on the torque test channel on YouTube.

But also don’t forget House Skil: Issue

• 𝕽𝖚𝖆𝖎𝖉𝖍𝖗𝖎𝖌𝖍@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Quality-wise, Makita > DeWALT ≥ Milwaukee > Ryobi, at least, if you watch teardowns by guys like AvE.

Power tools are like cars; companies hold several brands and target them to different market segments, like Porsche and VW.

Ryobi is owned by the same company as Milwauki; it’s the budget line, Milwauki being their premium line.

DeWALT and Black & Decker are owned by the same company; DeWALT is their premium line.

The exception in this list is Makita, which is its own company. They’re also objectively more well-built than the others (here), and correspondingly usually more expensive.

The premium lines are better quality (not just more expensive) but also tend to have smaller battery-tool options. Despite being a budget line, I mostly own B&D because most of my tools these days are 24V and there are more tool options there. The few, select, DeWALT tools I have are noticably better quality.

I don’t use power tools enough to justify Makita, but also, their battery-powered line is comparatively tiny. As someone else said, there’s a lot of motivation to pick a (compatible) lane, whichever it is. For most home-gamers, the quality difference will probably not matter much. If I were made of money, though, I’d have everything Makita except for the things they don’t make.

• rekabis@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I’m in that fifth house that no-one ever seems to talk about: BOSCH.

J/K, I’m mostly Bosch, but I look towards whichever manufacturer makes the best version of a tool I currently need. For example, my chainsaws and yard/orchard power tools are Stihl, my lawnmower is Husqvarna, my circular saw, worm drive saw and abrasion/steel cutoff saw are all Skilsaw (not Skil!), and my oscillating multi tool is Fein.

Plus, many of the domestics are vintage, from before production was outsourced out of America, which makes them much more reliable and robust than modern tools. Even some of the other tools are vintage – my Stihl 076 Super can cut through a 60cm log like a hot knife through butter. And I have both 36″ and 72″ bars to go with it.

• Nolvamia@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I always lean towards Bosch where possible, mainly because of their charitable work. The founder set things up so that it’s perpetually funded from the company profits. That just appeals to me as the tiebreaker when deciding between a bunch of similarly priced tools that will otherwise do the job well enough.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Bosch_Stiftung

That said, I tend to go for corded options where practical. I have some corded tools that I’ve owned for over thirty years now that still get occasional use. Battery tools are convenient for their portability, but they do have a limit to their useful life.

• fubarx@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Straight up Ryobi here. It’s not pro-hardcore, but for homeowner DYI and the variety and range of devices, it’s been solid.

Pretty funny how Home Depot has stayed neutral and carried all those brands.

• TalesFromTheKitchen@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Not a dad but heavily into the Makita gang. As a German I should be into Hilti or Metabo but Makita just hits the sweetspot of quality and pricing for me.

• WbrJr@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

You forgot Bosch! It’s a shit company in my opinion though… they also produce in Chinese prison camps

• Lianodel@ttrpg.network
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

IIRC, that might be because their quality & reputation took a dip for a while. They were, after all, a Sears brand, and Sears got run into the ground by some blood-sucking leadership.

That said, they used to have a great reputation, and were sold to Black & Decker in 2017, who seem to be handling the line up much, much better.