I’ve been using Lemmy a lot over the past two weeks. I’ve come to understand it and the fediverse. I understand the pros and cons. I kno how I want to improve it and I know what keeps people away.

How do you all feel about it? I wonder how many people create accounts not knowing what it is and then just abandon them.

Is anyone having trouble finding a community they fit well in? Or just trouble in general finding communities?

I think there are a lot of tools that can be added to help improve discovery and navigation. Thankfully, we are very close to a new release of Lemmy. I think the devs have v0.18 in testing. It has a much better UI and other tools.

Thinks will get better. But I would say I’m pretty happy with it as it is.

• @infinitevalence
    link
    English
    51 year ago

Subscriptions are still a mess especially on mobile. I have taken to looking at all but there is plenty of content I don’t want to see in that.

I also liked the idea of creating a local algorithm of some sorts that starts to prune things I have already seen.

I also miss being able to swipe to return to the list after viewing a post.

And I miss RES view all images.

Other than that I’m enjoying the conversations and content.

I can’t wait to see where things end up.

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
      link
      English
      11 year ago

What’s wrong with subscriptions on mobile? I’ve not known of any major issues.

Custom algorithm: as in people can create their own or there is a new one that removes seen?

I cannot wait either! It’s all about to drop. New apps, new web ui, and upgraded backend is coming.

• @infinitevalence
        link
        English
        21 year ago

Yeah the idea that we build a way for our own instance/account to create a custom view that is more than just subscriptions but more filtered than just turning off say NSFW. I dont want to subscribe to every little thing of interest, but at the same time I dont want to see everything…

That is the one thing about the private companies is that they have conditioned us to having a personalized content flow.

In Jorboa every time I click a community link it CDT’s on mobile so I cant get to a community im not subbed to, so I cant add it to my subscription.

Right now I have to go to my PC/Web and go through a rain-dance/rube goldberg where I try different combinations of the community name in the search and toggle between all/comments/posts/communities until I can navigate through my (your) instance so I can add it.

I wish I could just put the !name or !name@instance.tld into a box and have it add it to my sub list.

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
          link
          English
          11 year ago

I believe that’s coming with Lemmy 0.18. I saw something called community groups in the code. I’d have to dig more to see for sure.

• @infinitevalence
            link
            English
            11 year ago

I have not dug into 0.18 yet, still trying to get a personal instance up on my own server :(

• @Rakn@discuss.tchncs.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Lemmy keeps refreshing the list of posts constantly. It makes it barely usable tbh. You see something interesting, want to click on it, it whoops… it’s gone. Need to scroll around to find it again.

Gets me really frustrated.

Lemmy still has a lot of UX issues. The above is just the most prominent example for me. I think it has potential. But it’s not there yet.

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
      link
      English
      11 year ago

It’s about to get better. Lemmy.ml just released with .18-rc.6. So it’s about to launch. You can get a peak of the new UI and UX there.