for example i posted several times in this thread and no showed https://lemmy.world/post/2461610 is there a way of knowing where’s worth posting to because i feel like i’m just wasting time if i’m posting and no one will ever see it.

• jgrim of SublinksMA
    link
    511 months ago

Lemmy will queue announcements to send to other instances with a max retry. Currently, I cannot view the pending queue. The queue is kept entirely in memory too.

If a server is over loaded or the Lemmy backend restarts then this changes are LOST. It’s a terrible experience.

This would explain intermittent issues but not consistent.

I’m looking into the cause of this along with members of the community. I’m also working on a tool to attempt to resolve missed messages.

I know it’s not perfect but the community is working on it. It’s a complex beast that needs some work. We’re working on it.

• @terkaz
    link
    English
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I have a similar problem with three instances:

I was able to post on all three. I haven’t been able to post on lemmy.world for over two weeks, and recently I lost the ability to post on szmer.info.

I think there should be some kind of “handshake” between your instance and the instance of the recipient of your post. A notification that would tell you that synthing has failed.

• @youhavemykeysOP
      link
      211 months ago

yeah that would be perfect, one message not working is a little annoying but writing several in different threads then later realising none went through is really disheartening.

maybe they could even have an initial handshake when you open the message writing box, like ‘your post might not sync at this time’

• @dresden
    link
    English
    211 months ago

The issue is somewhat resolved. But older posts / comments aren’t syncing. If you edit your comment and save, it would show up.

Or you can just post again.

• @sturdilypop
    link
    111 months ago

Without being able to post to lemmy.world, the experience is pretty much useless. Hope it’s fixed soon otherwise I’m leaving this instance