• Cethin
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1195 months ago

Better watch out for China coming over to claim it.

• @gravitas_deficiency@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    135 months ago

Here, we can see another illustration of the difference in philosophy between the modern Chinese and Japanese production and manufacturing culture. Japanese island architects have been carefully cultivating this undersea mount for generations, using painstaking traditional techniques, which are only now showing true signs of paying off; in contrast, Chinese island architects almost exclusively stick to rapid-fill dredging combined with concrete pours on top of coral reefs, which are generally considered to be a far less elegant and lower quality way of producing an island.

• @Tangent5280@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      15 months ago

Maybe a testament to the effects of the uber nationalistic, hyper-competitive nature of the chinese economy. Get nitpicky about the how of what you’re going to do and someone else will take the contract. Get too good at what you do and you risk government assimilation.

• Because China will claim that it’s their hereditary rightful property.

I’m def gonna caveat this right up front by saying it’s a reasonable, non-racist joke based on recent behaviors and conflicts, just as much as it’s sadly funny to make similar jokes about the US invading countries full of brown people and oil. Sometimes things are bitterly funny because they’re true.

• GladiusB
        link
        fedilink
        65 months ago

If you are trying to build on it or roast marshmallows.

• DominusOfMegadeus
        link
        fedilink
        -195 months ago

At this point, I’m assuming it’s a symptom of some kind of environmental catastrophe

• @protist@mander.xyz
              link
              fedilink
              English
              205 months ago

Maybe take a news break my friend.

Or read a history book and learn about the truly horrific things humanity has done over the past 3000+ years to put current events in perspective. Or read something about the universe and realize how incredibly insignificant and meaningless the entirety of humanity is. Or get drunk

• DominusOfMegadeus
                link
                fedilink
                edit-2
                5 months ago

I did just downloaded ”Between the World and Me” by Ta-Nehisi Coates. Hoping for some time to start it tomorrow. Cheers!

• tiredofsametab
          link
          fedilink
          105 months ago

It’s dangerous to anyone directly by it as it happens and in the form of pumice rafts if any where created, but that’s about it.

Depending upon the composition and how much material gets built up, it will likely erode away fairly quickly and may pose a hazard when not visible but still just under the waves or something.

• Cethin
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          5 months ago

I don’t think Valcanos are effected by climate change. They do release a fair amount of CO2 and can effect climate change, but I don’t think the other direction has any effect. Maybe fracking or something can cause it, but this kind of thing is expected to happen frequently in this area. It’s nothing to be concerned about.

• @Rooskie91
            link
            105 months ago

The CO2 isn’t the problem, it’s the sulfur gases. They basically do the opposite of CO2. When Krakatoa errupted, it lowered global temperatures by 0.5 C. It canceled summer and caused famines. When large volcanoes erupt they don’t cause a climate catastrophe, they ARE the climate.

Anyway, here’s a neat video so you’re not just believing a stranger on the internet.

https://youtu.be/fXb02MQ78yQ?si=Wry3fzXxBHUZ_IIu

• cheesymoonshadow
            link
            fedilink
            75 months ago

Not sure but I think you mean affect instead of effect. But what’s funny is this is a rare instance where it works with either word.

• Cethin
              link
              fedilink
              English
              45 months ago

You know, I don’t know which I meant either. Usually there is a clear difference, but not here. Weird.

• sebinspace
    link
    fedilink
    35 months ago

Facebook comments be like “why are we sending money to Japan to build an island? We deserve the new island more! America first!”

• @x4740N@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      4 months ago

How about you fucking care about yourself for once rather than taking put your anger online

Work on yourself, meditation can help with that