• EmoThugInMyPhase [he/him]
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      5 months ago

What do you mean full circle? It was never even a half circle. It’s more like a top right corner portion of a circle, really.

• NewLeaf [he/him]
        link
        fedilink
        English
        105 months ago

That’s why the protest at the Democratic National Convention in 1968 happened. Not aimed at you, just adding to the conversation

• EllenKelly [comrade/them]
      link
      fedilink
      English
      65 months ago

The most contentious issues of the convention were the continuing American military involvement in the Vietnam War and voting reform, particularly expanding the right to vote for draft-age soldiers (age 18) who were unable to vote as the voting age was 21

[…]

The entire event took place live under television lights for seventeen minutes with the crowd chanting, “The whole world is watching”.[56] Samuel Brown, one of the organizers for Senator McCarthy, lamented the violence, saying: “Instead of nice young people ringing doorbells, the public saw the image of mobs shouting obscenities and disrupting the city”.[18] Brown stated the demonstrations at Chicago had been a disaster for the anti-war movement, as the American people saw the protesters as the trouble-makers and the heavy-handed police response as justified.[18] The general feeling at the time was the hippies were intent upon destroying everything good in America and the Chicago police had acted correctly in beating such dangerous anti-social types bloody.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_Democratic_National_Convention

alwayshasbeen.jpeg

• @Rooskie91
    link
    English
    995 months ago

“If y’all don’t like the ruling class oppressing you so much, then just let them oppressing you!”

Wow, brilliant take. Sounds like they should have kept protesting after Vietnam. Sounds like maybe we stopped too soon.

• huf [he/him]
    link
    fedilink
    English
    965 months ago

great takes in that thread:

This actually isn’t right. The main thing that pushed the country to the right and led to Nixon was the race riots of the 60s. Read Omar wasows research.

oh really, the race riots, eh? why were there race riots?

• Greenleaf [he/him]
      link
      fedilink
      English
      705 months ago

The fact that white people hated the civil rights movement so much they actually rioted (often harnessing that anger on school busing programs) has been completely memory holed and we all just sorta pretend like it never happened. Even as someone who likes to read history, I don’t really know all that much about it. But I assume it never gets brought up in history class or society at large because it spoils the narrative of “MLK Jr gave a speech, we passed a law, and now we have total equality and racism had been defeated”.

• SerLava [he/him]
        link
        fedilink
        English
        515 months ago

A lot of people come to the realization that society fought MLK, watched him die and then said “oh! oh! I agreed with him the whole time”

But it’s worse. What they really said was “He agreed with me the whole time”

• EmoThugInMyPhase [he/him]
        link
        fedilink
        English
        335 months ago

Yup. After MLK ended racism, everyone forgets about how the white people who formed lunch mobs and bombed people are still walking around, probably shopping for tomatoes next to you.

• JamesConeZone [they/them]
    link
    fedilink
    English
    805 months ago

Carter literally fumbled the youth vote with deeply unpopular policies that could have easily avoided, instead he got btfo by a senile actor who killed a student in protests against bombing children

• Greenleaf [he/him]
      link
      fedilink
      English
      425 months ago

Carter sucks but I’ll give him props for returning the Canal to Panama. Apparently doing that really hit his popularity hard, though of course there were a lot of other things. The American people get the blame for that one, amerikkka

• Wertheimer [any]
    link
    fedilink
    English
    735 months ago

Here’s a good essay that responds to this particular brand of ghoulery.

So here is my question for Joe Biden, the one man who has been anointed to save America from the terrifying notion of another Trump administration: Why have you decided to force American voters who do not want a fascist president to step over the bodies of thousands of dead civilians in order to vote for you? Why? What are you thinking? The Biden administration itself is subjecting all of us to this blood-soaked political kabuki, in which we are all supposed to grin tightly and talk about the CHIPS Act and investment in green energy and studiously ignore the thousands of dead children strewn all around us. It is as if the night before a big game, the New York Yankees went out and shot up an elementary school, and then turned to their fans and shrugged, “What are you gonna do—cheer for the Red Sox?”

• DragonBallZinn [he/him]
    link
    fedilink
    English
    705 months ago

“We need to give republicans everything they want, or else they’ll have the pleasure of just taking it!”

How’s tailism working out for Biden, btw? He LET abortion bans and trans criminalization happen across the country because “muh bipartisanship” but normies STILL think he’s too far left.

• Red_sun_in_the_sky
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    5 months ago

Just weapons grade libbin. Not to mention : Y’all. Anyways I tried to look at what else this genius person said. Here’s another masterpiece.

I love that this person is handwringing at people protesting while all the liberal cadre wouldn’t bat an eye at operation phoenix.

• Greenleaf [he/him]
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    5 months ago

If doing the right thing (fighting for the liberation of Palestine) makes you unpopular with American voters, then America deserves whatever hell is wrought upon it in the aftermath.

• nohaybanda [he/him]
      link
      fedilink
      English
      395 months ago

“We must save democracy!”

Binch, if the only available choice is what icing you get on the genocide cake, you have no democracy worth saving. Fuck your democracy and fuck you for asking people of conscience to humor your bullshit.

• Yor [she/her]
    link
    fedilink
    English
    475 months ago

These libs are such fucking losers I stg. Absolutely no awareness of history or anything outside of their small bubble

• @whatup@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    455 months ago

It’s an objectively true statement but not for the reasons she thinks. American imperialists of the Cold War era de-radicalized anti-war advocates, union members, and other progressives by ending the draft and offering a still-viable path to the so-called middle class.

• Tunnelvision [they/them]
      link
      fedilink
      English
      175 months ago

And those roads to a middle class existence are damn near nonexistent now, so yeah let’s talk about some history.

• adultswim_antifa [he/him]
    link
    fedilink
    English
    385 months ago

LBJ said “We’ve lost the south for a generation” when he signed the Civil Rights act in June 1964. It was proposed by Kennedy, and LBJ pushed it through congress after the assassination. His election was a few months later. Compare the electoral maps:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_United_States_presidential_election

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1956_United_States_presidential_election

The US entered the Vietnam war around that time period too but do you think of the Jim Crow south as being extremely anti-war?

• M68040 [they/them]
    link
    fedilink
    English
    375 months ago

Even if that were the case, I unironically would rather die, get everyone else killed, and plunge the world into a century of deepest reaction than pander to grillman gormless fucks I have nothing but contempt for grillman