Finished Sunreach by Brandon Sanderson and Janci Patterson. It’s first of three novellas written between book 2 and 3 of Cytoverse series.

Finished ReDawn, the next novella after Sunreach, by same authors.

Before reading these novellas, I considered them side stories, which may help expand the universe and give background info about other characters, but nothing big in main scheme of things, but the way story has progressed in these, anyone who miss these will missing out on a lot.

Of course, I have yet to read the next novel, so maybe it will cover some of the important bits, let’s see.

After the novellas, I have started Proven Guilty by Jim Butcher, book 8 of Dresden Files. These novels keep getting longer, if I recall correctly, the first few were around 300 or so pages, this one is over 550 pages. Not that I am complaining, they are a fun read, but just an observation.

What about all of you? What have you been reading or listening to lately?

A regular reminder about our Book Bingo, and it’s Recommendation Post . Links are also present in our community sidebar.

• @eric@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    717 days ago

I’m halfway through The Fellowship of the Ring or a sixth of the way through The Lord of the Rings, however you want to look at it. It’s my first time reading the book. I’ve watched the movies and played the LEGO game a lot.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      116 days ago

Ah, cool. How are you liking the book vs the movie?

• @misterp@lemmy.today
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    11 days ago

I’ve just started A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers. I saw it on the shelf at the library yesterday and said, “Hmmm, I remember when this came out and I forgot to read it.” So, 24 years later I’m finally reading it. So far, it’s really good. I enjoy books that are playful with the reader, self-aware narrators, etc. and this one starts that way right off the bat. You’re even invited to send your copy of the book back to the publisher in exchange for something else! It’s truly a heartbreaking story but with a huge sense of humor. *edit: Well, I finished AHWOSG faster than expected because I couldn’t put it down all weekend. I’ve started two more: Salem’s Lot by Stephen King and About Grace by Anthony Doerr.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      19 days ago

The title seems familiar, but I don’t recall hearing about it. Going to check it out.

• @countsickness@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    517 days ago

The Last House on Needless Street by Catriona Ward

So far I am halfway through and it’s an exceptionally good example of unreliable narrators leaving the reader in a state of terror. I really really hope that it can stick it’s landing…

Also. Some of the chapters are written by a cat.

• @misterp@lemmy.today
      link
      fedilink
      English
      211 days ago

I loved this novel. Like I said before, I love books that play with narration. I remember being so thrown off track by all the narrative voices and especially the cat! It’s not just a story to read, it’s a marvelous game to play while reading!

• @countsickness@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        110 days ago

I just finished the book a few days ago and oh boy I absolutely loved it. I was pretty sure that I knew what the twist(s) would be and was rooting for one character from the get go. The book is so full of hints how all of it works. But some of the hints confuse even more until you find the last puzzle piece. At the halfway point the Autor had me doubting that I was right… I found the end was a little bit to happy right after finishing it. But a few days later I see it as a great ending that more or less recontextualises the whole book into another genre.

Really have to look into the other books of the author.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      217 days ago

Also. Some of the chapters are written by a cat.

Okay, let me put everything aside and order the book right now.

• @setsneedtofeed@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    417 days ago

The Night Land by William Hodgson. It’s a dreamy, dark scifi story set in a future dying earth, told through the lens of a 17th century man describing it. I am reading directly because Tim Cain recommended it in one of his videos.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      117 days ago

Ah, I like Tim Cain, guess I’ll have to read it too now.

• Currently about 60 pages into Relic by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. It’s alright so far, but I’m not super invested.

I also read Strange Dogs by James SA Corey, which I’d been putting off. Unlike some of the other Expanse novellas, the show followed this one pretty closely (from my memory of it, anyway). Luckily, it was short, and I can move on to Auberon without feeling guilty I’d skipped something.

• @state_electrician@discuss.tchncs.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    316 days ago

The Shock by Marc Raabe, a mystery thriller. His books just tick all the right boxes for me. Although I like his latest books better, the older ones are fun too.

• @JaymesRS@literature.cafeM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    17 days ago

I fished up Swordheart by T. Kingfisher and really enjoyed it. There are potential sequels out there to be written but the whole collection is fun.

This week my optimistic goal is Butcher of the Forest by Premee Mohamed and if I get that far Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees. It’s a busy week though so we’ll see how far I get. Both are for bingo squares.

Proven Guilty is one of my favorites and sets up a bunch of stuff that is important “later”.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      217 days ago

Yeah, really liking it so far. Started much darker than other books though.

Good luck with reaching your reading goal!

• @kat_angstrom@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    17 days ago

The Eyre Affair, by Jasper Fforde. It’s… Okay. Not that great to me, but I’m not a fan of villains chewing up the scenery.

It’s pithy and innocuous though, and not without its charms so I’ll definitely finish it.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      117 days ago

Oh, I saw the book at shop recently and got it because of Jasper Fforde. His Shades of Grey books is pretty interesting, have been waiting for a sequel for a while now though.

Do share how you like it when you have finished the book.

• @dresdenOPM
          link
          English
          29 days ago

Oooh, that’s great!

Though, it did take him 15 years to write the sequel, so I am going to wait and see if the story is finished, if not, going to wait for it to finish before I jump back in.

• @n4utix@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    317 days ago

The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks. It gets a lot of flack for being so similar to LotR, but… who doesn’t want more LotR? I’m enjoying it!

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      216 days ago

I started it a loooong time ago, soon afte LotR, and gave up after 50 pages or so, and never visited it again. I have heard it becomes it own things in later novels.

I like Terry Brooks’ other work, so glad that you are enjoying it!

• @n4utix@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        216 days ago

In my opinion, it’s worth the read. I definitely see the parallels to LotR, but imo if you work hard enough, you can similarly compare any fantasy book (one that came after Lord of the Rings) and say “this is just Lord of the Rings but _______”… at least that’s my rationalization. Lol.

• @dresdenOPM
          link
          English
          116 days ago

lol. Well, if you like something, there is no need for any rationalization, just enjoy it.

• @Elextra@literature.cafe
    link
    fedilink
    317 days ago

The Covenant of Water by Abraham Verghese. Its a thick boy and will take me some time. Hoping to mark of the “Water, Water, Everywhere” square for it.

Tom Lake by Ann Pratchett has been a very leisurely listen. Unsure if there’s any squares to use for it but I like it either way so far. Simple, so far, pleasant telling of a former actresses life to her three kids.

• Just finished Shore fall (second book in the Foundry trilogy) that I spoke about recently on here.

I’m going to start the fifth book in the Buy Mort series “Bull Market Mayhem” and maybe try out the first Gideon Sable book by Simon R Green before going into the third book in the foundry trilogy.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      217 days ago

Never heard of Simon R Green for some reason, but he looks pretty prolific writer, will look up some details…

What kind of books are Buy Mort? They are labelled as Shopocalypse Saga, and that has intrigued me.

• I was introduced to Green with the Deathstalker series of books which were really good so I can highly recommend them! I’m not sure if Gideon Sable will be for me but due to liking Deathstalker and it sounding a bit like The Stainless Steel Rat (which I love) I’m going to give it a go. I love a good space opera!

Buy Mort is a satire based around an all encompassing shop front that basically takes over the universe. Earth wakes up one day to find that everyone (people and animals alike) have had this shop front implanted into their head that gives them the ability to both buy anything you could imagine and sell anything around them, as well as having incredibly intrusive adverts beamed directly into their minds/vision.

It is described as a “lit/RPG” and has very heavy tones of being written as if it were a sort of sci fi role playing game, using the kinds of terminology you’d find in role playing games. From there I guess it is a kind of social commentary / satire on the way this world is going with corporations like amazon taken to the extreme where buy Mort takes over in the universe and destroys civilisations as well as planets as it spreads throughout the universe.

I went in blind knowing only the title pretty much but have absolutely loved it so far and would highly recommend it if what I said sounds appealing at all to you.

• @dresdenOPM
          link
          English
          216 days ago

Sounds interesting, will check it out.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      216 days ago

Just looked it up, apparently it’s not a cook book…

How are you liking it so far?

• WideEyedStupid
    link
    fedilink
    217 days ago

About to start the first book of the Divine Cities series: City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett.

Quite a while ago (I think it was when I was still on reddit), someone made a post or comment about the series and I’ve been wanting to read it, but I have so many books I still want to read (or reread), so I guess I kind of forgot about it. But tonight when I go to bed, I’ll start. Really can’t wait and hope it’s as good as it was made out to be.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      316 days ago

Yeah, so many books, so little time. I have books in my wishlist for more than a decade, and even some in backlog for a very long time.

• WideEyedStupid
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        16 days ago

Very relatable!

It is also the reason I pretty much only read finished series (some exceptions for me were Feist’s Magician or Erikson’s Malazan series). Tbh, I really hate having to wait for the next book, sometimes even for years (and then having to reread previous books, because you’ve forgotten half the story), plus you can never really know if the author will actually finish it. It’s why I never bought any ASOIAF-books, I was waiting for it to be finished, but now that’ll probably never happen.

Just don’t have the time, patience and discipline to stay up to date with and juggle reading a bunch of different ongoing book series ‘at the same time’ - so I have an extra list with unfinished series that I check up on once every two years or so, to see if they’re complete and I can start reading them yet. It keeps the backlog a bit more manageable.

• @state_electrician@discuss.tchncs.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      216 days ago

I really liked City of Stairs. Just last week I saw it in my book case and remembered I wanted to read the other books from that series. But I have the same problem. So many books and other hobbies and not nearly enough time to make a serious dent in the TBR pile.

• WideEyedStupid
        link
        fedilink
        216 days ago

I made a deal with myself to go to bed at least an hour earlier than I usually would, just to read. I’ve read every night for the past … I don’t know how long, years anyway. I figured I would otherwise just waste this time on lemmy (or reddit in the past), and reading is a better use of my time than doomscrolling. ;) So I’ve been consistently going through books, even on days where I have little other free time.

But even so, I just have so many books I want to read. Wonder if I get to read everything I want to read before I go to my grave, and that’s not even including all the books that haven’t been written yet that I’ll also want to read. :p