What are your guys’ favorite PSP games and why? We’ve all seen the Top 10 lists and those games are amazing, but are there any gems that specifically called out to you that didn’t get much coverage? How did they make you feel and did you have any fond memories of playing the PSP when you were younger?

I dug out my old soft modded PSP GO (not pictured) from a drawer at my parent’s house and immediately went on a definitely legal buying and installing spree and think I have a pretty good library of games, but wanted to kind of compare notes.

• @Contramuffin@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    211 year ago

Loco Roco! It’s not a well known game, and honestly I wouldn’t even say it’s a must-play game, but I’ve got so many good memories with it that it’s got that nostalgia factor for me. When I got my Steam Deck, that was one of the first games that I emulated

• quelsh
      link
      fedilink
      English
      51 year ago

Definitely this! I think it’s a must play tbh. The sound track is ingrained in my brain. Which makes each day just a tad brighter :)

• Oweneds
      link
      fedilink
      English
      41 year ago

Loco Roco and Loco Roco 2 had so much character, great games.

• @BroBot9000@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    161 year ago

Monster Hunter was absolutely perfect as a handheld game. Played way too much of it back in the day on my psp during road trips.

• Peachfacedshredder
    link
    fedilink
    English
    131 year ago

Patapon was always my favourite, seems simple but you need to think quickly while having a good sense of rhythm.

• @Zanshi@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Patapon and Rock Band Unplugged is what cemented my love for rhythm games. Can’t think about Message in the Bottle without seeing the track when I close my eyes to this day!

• FuzzyV
    link
    fedilink
    English
    101 year ago

I enjoyed games like SOCOM and Monster Hunter, but my favorite memories came from the homebrew scene.

The PSP was the first thing I learned to “hack” as a kid. Installing dark_alex’s M33 CFW (I hope I’m remembering that correctly) was just incredibly exhilarating and exciting. It was like unlocking a whole new aspect that didn’t exist before and the whole experience was just fucking cool.

I still maintain my original PSP-1000 to this day, and fire it up once in a blue moon just to relive that nostalgia.

• RetroRandy
      link
      fedilink
      English
      21 year ago

Played so much SOCOM with my buddies back in the day. I miss doing those crawl through wall glitches.

• ijustdoeyes
      link
      fedilink
      English
      21 year ago

I did that with my PSP-Go, a mate pulled one out of his pocket and showed me it with custom firmware and that was it I went out and got one.

The formfactor of the Go was basically perfect for a portable, I only moved up into a Vita when development had hit it’s limitations but I still have a PSP Emulator on it.

• @Gorroth@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    81 year ago

Daxter

Definitely! My first game that I got with my PSP Value Pack. Played it in summer holidays in the back of a rented camper we drove in our vacation.

• Instigate
    link
    fedilink
    English
    81 year ago

I literally bought a second hand PSP for one game and one game only - Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. Played the absolute shit out of that one. It’s actually the only PlayStation console I’ve ever owned.

• Instigate
        link
        fedilink
        English
        31 year ago

It was pretty reasonable! No box and some light scratching on the screen, but I was less concerned with vintage value back in those days. It’s probably not worth as much as my other vintage consoles that I’ve kept in far better condition.

• BlackCoffee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    1 year ago
    • FF7 Crisis core is my favorite game ever. The gameplay, story, voice acting and music are all top notch.

• DEF Jam Fight for NY is another PSP favorite for me. I really liked the combat and customization options for your character. It was just an enormous fun game.

• Daxter was the first PSP game I played and it was also just an really fun and good game.

• Dissidia Final Fantasy is als just a really good game with an amazing combat system.

• The naruto games were really good. I think it was the ultimate ninja heroes games that had this interesting gameplay and also a story mechanic with an floor system that you had to climb and play through.

• Bleach heat the soul series are fun fighting games. I think not all of them were released in the west but I recommend them because the gameplay was super fun.

• @bionicjoey@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    71 year ago

There was a tactical rpg (think FFT) called Jeanne D’Arc that I enjoyed quite a bit. It was like a fantasy retelling of the story of Joan of Arc but with a bunch of fantasy anime stuff. I’m not even usually a big anime guy but it was a super fun tactics game.

• @En_Grey@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      51 year ago

Jeanne D’Arc is definitely an underrated game. I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would.

• @BroBot9000@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      21 year ago

Damn! Glad I’m not the only one that remembers that one! Brought back a ton of memories reading that name. The gameplay was really solid.

• @Severopol@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    61 year ago

I met my best friend through playing Liberty City Stories together every lunch time in high school while sitting on a window sill.

• PaRappa
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    1 year ago

A lot of great memories on the PSP, have been heavily considering a modded one!

Midnight Club 3 Dub Edition & Death Jr. were the first two games I had, along with a UMD of Click, lol.

Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles

GTA: Liberty City Stories

Kingdom of Paradise - the PSN re-release some months ago was such a nice surprise

Marvel - Rise of the Imperfects and the first Ultimate Alliance

PaRappa!!!

Rengoku: The Tower of Purgatory

• Kahizzle
    link
    fedilink
    English
    61 year ago

Crisis Core and Dissidia were my absolute favorite PSP games.

Crisis Core had me bawling by the end and the music in it is fantastic. Combat was insanely fun for me.

Dissidia is possibly my most played game of all time. The combat was so fun and was what I dreamed of as a child when thinking of an action Final Fantasy. Loved all the RPG elements and summons you could equip as well as all the unlockable tracks and costumes.

Dissidia Duodecim was even better but I really wish they didn’t drop the ball on Dissidia NT. Such a let down.

• Omega
      link
      fedilink
      English
      31 year ago

I remember liking the arena/coliseum thing from the original Dissidia better. Probably because it was easier to get equipment for my skill level.

• @KRiTZ_V@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    61 year ago

Patapon, LocoRoco, Peace Walker, Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep, and Ace Combat were some I played of the hell out of during the PSPs heyday,

I did remember trying Killzone Liberation, and it was better than I expected even if it wasnt an fps like the original, but a top down shooter.