An aide to former Vice President Mike Pence described former Trump White House chief of staff Mark Meadows as the “ringleader” with much of the events that took place on Jan. 6, 2021.

Marc Short, Pence’s former chief of staff, said Meadows was “central” in efforts to overturn the 2020 election on Jan. 6. Though Meadows was not charged in the Justice Department’s federal case, he was charged alongside former President Trump with racketeering and solicitation of violation of oath by a public officer in the Fulton County, Ga., election case.

• DigitalTraveler42
      link
      fedilink
      English
      1411 months ago

It’s kinda hard to see Meadows as the fall guy when the Trump call to Secretary of State (Ga) Ratzenberger exists, there shouldn’t be any questions when the jury hears that phone call because it’s indisputable proof that Trump was leading the pressure campaign to overturn Georgia’s election results.

• @aseriesoftubes@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      811 months ago

His behavior recently seems to indicate that he really doesn’t want to go to jail. I’d bet he’s singing like a canary to get a reduced sentence.

• @OldWoodFrame@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    1211 months ago

All the more intriguing that he might be cooperating.

But also what are the odds the Chief of Staff in the White House is “central” to a plan that never implicates the guy he reports directly to?

• @Pratai@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      311 months ago

Cooperating? He’s taking the heat off of trump. He’s not helping the prosecution here, he’s defending his lord and savior by throwing himself under the bus.

• flipht
        link
        fedilink
        311 months ago

Meadows isn’t telling the media that he himself was the ring leader. This is coming from the Trump camp. Everything else indicates that Meadows is giving up info, and this seems like Team Trump trying to poison the well and drum up a defense of “sour grapes, he’s just mad he isn’t going to be Trump’s chief of staff in 2024.”

• Heresy_generator
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    11 months ago

So we start to get reports that Meadows might be cooperating and now he’s suddenly being sold as the January 6th “ringleader” to set the narrative that anything he tells the prosecution or says in court are just lies blame poor, innocent Donald Trump for Mark “Machiavelli” Meadows scheming and having people “whispering falsehoods into the president’s ear”

• Jo Miran
    link
    fedilink
    1011 months ago

Mark shouldn’t feel bad. He won’t be lonely under that bus for long.

• @Pratai@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    411 months ago

I’m pretty certain there’s enough evidence showing that trump is the ringleader in everything that trump stands a chance to gain from.

• @reddig33@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    311 months ago

So is the plan to blame as many cohorts as possible, and have them take the fall in exchange for a “pardon” if Trump wins? Seems like a real gamble — I wouldn’t trust Trump to win, or to grant a pardon if he did.

• AutoTL;DRB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    111 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

An aide to former Vice President Mike Pence described former Trump White House chief of staff Mark Meadows as the “ringleader” with much of the events that took place on Jan. 6, 2021.

Marc Short, Pence’s former chief of staff, said Meadows was “central” in efforts to overturn the 2020 election on Jan. 6.

“Regarding Mark, look, I don’t think any of us relish witnessing what’s happening to any of these people that we worked with,” Short, who now leads Pence’s political advocacy group, told host Abby Phillip on “CNN Primetime” on Tuesday.

Meadows is trying to move his Georgia case to federal court, arguing that he is immune because the allegations against him were part of his job in the White House.

Short reiterated that Pence believed that he did not have the power in his capacity as vice president to interfere with the counting of the votes.

“So there had been a lot of conversations leading up to this, and Mark was central to pulling together many of those who were, I think, whispering falsehoods into the president’s ear,” he added.

The original article contains 365 words, the summary contains 183 words. Saved 50%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!