Oh, this got delayed a bit.

I am still reading Valour’s Choice by Tanya Huff. Book 1 of Confederation series. Almost near the end though. Enjoying the book a lot.

What about all of you? What have you been reading or listening?

• @HotPurplePeach@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    24 months ago

Good to know, thanks. Maybe we should check in in about 10 years when she gets more writing experience. Or maybe it’s just not our cup of tea.

• theghostie
      link
      fedilink
      14 months ago

Yeah, there are some books that are highly recommended–even some that are personally recommended to me by a friend–that I end up not enjoying. I don’t think that makes them bad books, just not the right book for me.

link
        fedilink
        English
        24 months ago

Exactly! Tastes differ. But that makes me vary of recommendations and I end up second guessing every 5 star review. Who knows how many good books I passed up 😅

• theghostie
          link
          fedilink
          24 months ago

I try not to pay a ton of attention to reviews for the reason, for books and movies. Sometimes I’ll check afterward for something I enjoyed and find that it’s not well reviewed. Maybe I have trash taste 😅

link
            fedilink
            English
            24 months ago

Lets say you have a refined taste 😉 sometimes what’s most highly rated is boring stuff intended for the mass audience. For example, I stopped watching USA movies and very rarely see a USA series because I don’t enjoy it at all. It has great reviews, but doesn’t interest me, and that’s ok. I’d say that people who like it have a bad taste, and they would say I have a bad taste. Lets just say we have different interests 😅

• theghostie
              link
              fedilink
              14 months ago

Haha yes, we can go with “refined!” Though these days I find myself reaching for books that are more fun than literary.