Business says it doesn’t serve anyone who is armed

• Nougat
    link
    fedilink
    23610 months ago

Private business, police are not a protected class, the end.

• GreenPlasticSushiGrass
    link
    fedilink
    18410 months ago

Lol! “Bigoted and discriminatory”! As if they were born a cop, had no choice to be anything other that a cop, and could never be without a uniform or a weapon. Fuck 'em.

My partner was a charge nurse on a psych ward for 16 years. Many of her interactions with police were as follows:

POLICE: buzzes the desk
    My Parnter: Yes?
    P: This is officer so-and-so with the so-and-so police department. We have a warrant for the arrest of a patient on your ward. Let us in.
    MP: Okay, but this is a secure ward and firearms are not allowed. Surrender your weapons at the security office and I’ll grant you access to make your arrest when you return.
    P: I’M NOT SURRENDERING MY WEAPON!
    MP: Well, then can’t enter this ward.
    end of conversation

• FuglyDuck
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    10 months ago

“We ban firearms in this establishment.”
    “WE’re cops!”
    “Got a warrant? Otherwise, you’re violating our rules and regulations and we ask you to leave.”

• FuglyDuck
        link
        fedilink
        English
        5710 months ago

you can try… I’ve actually been there. Sort of.

Used to work contract security. my client was next to a MLB ball field- their parking lot literally was next to the service entrance, so the various staff that weren’t special (concessions, security, etc,) would park there. A lot of their ball game security are moonlighting cops or retired cops… they liked to tail gate after the game… but the city would revoke the license for running a parking lot if we allowed alcohol.

Getting drunken cops to leave your property when the other cops tried to be like “what’s the harm,” etc is no good.

• BarqsHasBite
          link
          fedilink
          1510 months ago

I guess just keep calling the cops just to get the record that you tried to get the alcohol off.

• FuglyDuck
            link
            fedilink
            English
            1810 months ago

it’s really not that simple. First, if you keep nuisance complaints, they’ll fine you (or in my case, fine my clients. which would have me fired.)
            secondly, you annoy the cops enough, they’ll freeze you out regardless of what their policies/rules say, and as a security guard, you’re reliant on them to come save you if you ever have an active shooter or, more likely, just an aggressive asshole who doesn’t like being told they can’t do whatever it is they’re trying to do.

• BarqsHasBite
              link
              fedilink
              1010 months ago

Well do it often enough that you can show the city department that you don’t allow alcohol and tried to get them removed (as seen by police records).

• @RaoulDook@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              310 months ago

you’re reliant on them to come save you if you ever have an active shooter

This is not a good plan, you need to be responsible for your own safety because you can’t count on the imaginary good guy cops to save you from anything. It may be 30 minutes before they show up, or they may not even show up at all.

• FuglyDuck
                link
                fedilink
                English
                310 months ago

This is the only plan we got.

Liability is a bitch, ain’t it?

• stopthatgirl7OP
              link
              fedilink
              110 months ago

you’re reliant on them to come save you if you ever have an active shooter

…how’d that work out for those kids in Uvalde, tho.

• @SulaymanF@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          510 months ago

That really is a tough one. The only chance you have is to escalate and demand the duty sergeant come down and deal with the problem of his unruly officers or make an extremely public complaint to the media and mayor that will force a response.

• @nilloc@discuss.tchncs.de
            link
            fedilink
            810 months ago

You could try the state police non-emergency.

Or find a parking/fire violation that the fire department would care about. I’ve seen them put cops in there place a few times. Even pushed a cruiser down the street in Boston when it was double parked in there way.

I wish I’d had a camera phone back then, I’m pretty sure they don’t report those kind of things into logs that end up in the paper.

• Flying Squid
      link
      fedilink
      2510 months ago

Fun story time… a couple of friends of mine were walking home after a night of drinking and some cops pull over and get out and say, “two white men in dark clothes just robbed the gas station down the road and you fit that description.” One friend said, “you’re two white men in dark clothes so you fit that description too. I’m going to have to make a citizen’s arrest.” My other friend said the cuffs got put on them at light speed. They got charged with public intoxication. We don’t know if the two white men in dark clothes were ever caught.

• FuglyDuck
        link
        fedilink
        English
        710 months ago

Lol…. So… uh. Please tell me your friend is putting that snark to use,

• Flying Squid
          link
          fedilink
          1310 months ago

Sadly, he passed away. And only in his 20s. And yes, we lost a great comic mind. I say this as someone who has been paid to do stand-up and write comedy: he was far funnier than I will ever be. I still miss him 20 years later.

• Flying Squid
              link
              fedilink
              1010 months ago

I’m sorry too, but that’s life. And the older you get, the more friends you lose along the way. I’m just glad we were friends for the time he was alive.

link
    fedilink
    14310 months ago

something something gay wedding cake. Last I checked LEO isn’t a protected class. And they aren’t even denying LEO, just those that come in on-duty and are armed. So yeah, get fucked pigs.

• @tsonfeir@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    8110 months ago

That Oregon bakery who refused to sell to a gay wedding ended up winning in the appeal, so if you can say “no gays” you can say “no ______”

• @Son_of_dad@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    5810 months ago

Police aren’t a race, orientation or protected class. A cop can in fact remove his gun and uniform, it’s not attached to his skin

• @n2burns@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    3910 months ago

This policy doesn’t seem weird to me at all, but I’m Canadian. I’ve seen establishments that don’t allow weapons on site. So except in emergency situations, police officers need to secure their weapon before they enter the store (I think they put them in the gun locker in the trunk of their car?).

• @flop_leash_973@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    3610 months ago

If its legal for someone to hypothetically not create a wedding announcement website for gay people because she doesn’t want to serve those kinds of people, then there should be nothing wrong with not wanting to serve armed cops.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/supreme-court-rules-web-designer-refused-work-sex-weddings-rcna68629

Baking food and making coffee could be argued to be every bit as “creative” as a website can be if the lawyer is good enough.

• @Rediphile@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      2010 months ago

One is outright discrimination based on sexual orientation. The other is simply a policy applied to all patrons.

It should absolutely be legal to say ‘no shoes no service’ or ‘has gun no service’ even if it was not legal to discriminate based on sexual orientation/race/gender/etc. They aren’t at all the same thing.

• @cristo@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          Esperanto
          110 months ago

Not in San Fran they wont. They let criminals run rampant but wont let anyone without Trump money get through the concealed carry permit process. Bruen should have fixed that but who knows if Cali will actually listen with Newsom putting that constitutional amendment to neuter the 2nd amendment out there.

• ares35
    link
    fedilink
    3010 months ago

odds on there being an ‘incident’ at that location in the near future, and the cops responding stop at dunkin’ for coffee and a donut while on the way there…?

• @KevonLooney@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      1910 months ago

There are only two Dunkin Donuts in SF. Mainly because they are terrible donuts.

So, basically 0.

• @SheeEttin@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        610 months ago

Shit coffee, too. And I say this as someone from the northeast and currently living somewhere are nine Dunks within a one mile radius of my current location.

• Cethin
          link
          fedilink
          510 months ago

The coffee is better than Starbucks, but that’s not saying much. Starbucks is only considered good because they add so much sugar and shit you can’t taste the coffee.

• stopthatgirl7OP
            link
            fedilink
            410 months ago

See, as a coffee hater, I like Starbucks precisely because it’s not coffee. If a coffee hater likes your coffee…it’s not coffee.

• @SheeEttin@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            110 months ago

Really? I’ve had a Starbucks Americano and it was fine. Although that’s espresso, not drip coffee. Drip coffee in general is just swill. Especially when it’s some “breakfast blend” bullshit. I’ve never had a blend that’s good, but most single-origin coffees are fine.

• Cethin
              link
              fedilink
              English
              210 months ago

The beans at Starbucks are over-roasted to maintain a consistent flavor across all locations. It doesn’t really matter what you get. Espresso might be slightly better, but it’ll always be over-roasted.

• @AngryCommieKender@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        10 months ago

I would suggest Krispy Kreme, but I haven’t seen one of those in CA.

Edit: looks like I’m going to Chula Vista. Haven’t had a Krispy Kreme in years.

• @foggy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Does this police chief have beef with the MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, MLS, and every other major sports organization?

None of them allow firearms on site unless you are on duty

• @foggy@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        310 months ago

Welp they’re gonna catch a massive fine, and their whole security staff is going to hate their jobs for the next few years.

• @ChonkyOwlbear@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      410 months ago

It’s not like they check for concealed carry though. I did security checks for a MLB team for a bit and I definitely waved through guns after they flashed a badge.

• @AngryCommieKender@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    10 months ago

You might be interested to know that cops, judges, politicians, and all other government officials don’t actually have Qualified Immunity according to the full text of section 1983 of the federal code. The SCOTUS wasn’t handed the full text in 1982 when they heard Harlow V Fitzgerald. The text was changed illegally in 1874 by one guy when he copied the 1871 Congressional Record into the Federal Register.

Look up “16 crucial words that went missing from a landmark civil rights law” for more info.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/15/us/politics/qualified-immunity-supreme-court.html

• vlad
    link
    fedilink
    2010 months ago

Sure, they should be able to turn anyone away, no questions asked.

• stopthatgirl7OP
        link
        fedilink
        1910 months ago

…Yeah, do you realize how bad taste it is to compare not letting cops in to Jim Crow discrimination against Black folks? Y’know, the people cops kill a lot?

I see what you’re trying to do, but…can you please not.

• @SocialEngineer56@notdigg.com
        link
        fedilink
        1710 months ago

Is being a law enforcement officer a protected class?

Saying something like “I refuse to serve you in the basis of your race” is illegal because race is a protected class. Whereas “I refuse to serve you because your Lemmy hit-takes are dumb” is perfectly legal! Same as refusing to serve armed thugs masquerading as the good guys.

• Flying Squid
          link
          fedilink
          210 months ago

I just had a situation with this at work that I talked to my wife about. A customer wanted us to do something with an image that had full frontal nudity and my bosses had to have a discussion about whether or not to allow it. My wife said, “aren’t they required to?” I pointed out that if that was true, we wouldn’t be able to refuse Neo-Nazis.

• @Not_mikey@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    1710 months ago

For some more context this place, reems, really isn’t a bakery so much as a middle eastern take out place. The main store is currently closed down though so the only place they have open is a counter serve food court style place in the ferry building, so the cops didn’t get kicked out of the place, they either went to the counter and the cashier refused to serve, or more likely, they saw the new policy online and threw a hissy fit without actually going.

The founder is a Palestinian leftist, so this probably was targeted towards cops/military.

I’d highly recommend going here if your on a tourist trip and end up in the ferry building, not just for the cop hate, but there wraps are great as well.