• spicy pancake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    311 day ago

I’ve gotten 2 skin burns from chemicals with a nitrile glove breakthrough time of <1 second

underfunded undergrad lab classes without heavy duty gloves shouldn’t be allowed to use fuming nitric acid >:(

• @draughtcyclist@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      141 day ago

I’m all fairness, nobody should be using fuming nitric acid unless absolutely necessary.

At least you didn’t catch on fire. It likes to do that too.

• @Setiyeti93@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1112 days ago

Chemists from 1925 in 1960… I don’t remember always having this much cancer… Or reduced lung function.

• @General_Effort@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      121 day ago

I perceived an uninterrupted stream of fantastic pictures, extraordinary shapes with intense, kaleidoscopic play of colors. After some two hours this condition faded away.

This was, altogether, a remarkable experience - both in its sudden onset and its extraordinary course. It seemed to have resulted from some external toxic influence; I surmised a connection with the substance I had been working with at the time, lysergic acid diethylamide tartrate. But this led to another question: how had I managed to absorb this material? Because of the known toxicity of ergot substances, I always maintained meticulously neat work habits. Possibly a bit of the LSD solution had contacted my fingertips during crystallization, and a trace of the substance was absorbed through the skin. If LSD-25 had indeed been the cause of this bizarre experience, then it must be a substance of extraordinary potency. There seemed to be only one way of getting to the bottom of this. I decided on a self-experiment.

Exercising extreme caution, I began the planned series of experiments with the smallest quantity that could be expected to produce some effect, considering the activity of the ergot alkaloids known at the time: namely, 0.25 mg (mg = milligram = one thousandth of a gram) of lysergic acid diethylamide tartrate.

From LSD: My Problem Child by Albert Hofmann. I will leave it to others to explain all the ways in which this is absolutely hair-raising.

• @Rooskie91
    link
    English
    602 days ago

As someone who worked in nuclear power you should definitely NOT pipette by mouth.

• IndiBrony
      link
      fedilink
      English
      472 days ago

As someone who worked with radioactive materials: I dropped my screwdriver :(

• @Rooskie91
        link
        English
        182 days ago

RIP, Science 0 Demon core: what like 3 now?

• @jmcs@discuss.tchncs.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          61 day ago

I don’t known why people malign the poor core so much. It killed way less people than it was designed to do.

• AgentOrangesicle
      link
      fedilink
      English
      42 days ago

How else will you get that gorgeous metallic flavor that portends your teeth falling out?

• @azi@mander.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    292 days ago

My uncle was a med lab tech in the hospital. They still had “no mouth pipetting” signs up in the late 90s.

• EdgeRunner
    link
    fedilink
    English
    262 days ago

Curie, Death,

Be “alpha” in the grave 😎😎 supaaa

• @python@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    72 days ago

Do they still sell the Pipetting silly straws somewhere? I was in a Bio lab last week and they didn’t have any (but still told everyone to NOT pipette the E.Coli with their mouths) so I really want to try that now