• TacoTroubles@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 hour ago

Whatever hobby you enjoy, avoid its online community as much as possible. It’s a great way to see negativity and arguing, which we all know constant negativity and discourse is fantastic for our collective mental health.

• faultypidgeon@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      20 minutes ago

It’s also a good way to never actually getting the ball rolling on a new hobby, and instead obsessively research what the “correct” way of doing xyz is and then be too overwhelmed by all the opinions to actually get started yourself.

• Float@startrek.website
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 hours ago

Wax Sealing. You heat up colorful wax in a spoon over a tea light, pour it on a marble slab and then stamp cool designs into it. It is fun to experiment with different mixes, pouring techniques, etc and is very relaxing. Plus, when you are done, you have lots of cool seals. I have a bucket full of them and I like to just sit an go through them.

There is a youtube channel called ‘melts’ that makes really nice wax sealing videos with no talking.

• PetteriPano@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 hours ago

I need to feel productive. Be it a programming project or woodworking. Just creating something new instead of maintenance like oil changes and mowing the lawn. Creating something new.

Also, take a walk in the forest. Get out on the water. Both are great therapy to disconnect from the mental todo-list of things going on around the house.

• tetris11@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 hours ago

Renting a paddleboard and just chilling on a lake on a sunny day. It really is a kind of heaven.

• Kacarott@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 hours ago

Reading. It doesn’t have to be much, but occasionally filling idle moments with a few pages read instead of doom scrolling social media can do wonders. It did for me at least.

• InfiniteGlitch@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 hours ago

Doing this actually got me back into reading. Started with Manhwa (Solo Leveling) and that spiraled into reading books such as Midnight library, Before Coffee Gets Cold, The Words We keep and now “1984”.

• Thavron@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 hours ago

Installing an ereader app (ReadEra) helped me so much with this. I always have my phone with me anyways, and tapping the ereader app instead of Instagram takes away so many barriers.

• Joshi@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 hours ago

I’m a huge advocate of gardening. It gets you outdoors and active, gives a sense of achievement, you learn and improve over time, it’s popular enough that you can get involved in a community, if you’re growing veg it promotes healthy eating.

It should be mandatory.

• tetris11@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 hours ago

You… sound like my mother. She’s an incredible woman, but christ, no I’m not gonna go climb a tree right now and chop off the top branches, I’m in the middle of a Minetest marathon

• jimmy90@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 hours ago

a little bit of exercise is amazing for mental health. just half an hour, 2 or 3 times a week makes a massive difference

• nomad@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      12 hours ago

… Where there is greenery. It’s scientifically proven to improve mental wellbeing if you see greenery just 20 minutes a day.

• sunbrrnslapper@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        12 hours ago

I was just coming in here to say walking in nature or hiking. 🙂

Although I do also get some benefit in driving through nature too.

• latenightnoir@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 hours ago

I’d say anything creative, something which pushes the mind to focus on generating new ideas instead of just running through the same old ones - this worked for me, at least, as rumination and catastrophising have been stapled to my noggin my entire life.

To be more specific, painting, building stuff with Legos, drawing, writing poetry, composing songs, whittling, woodworking, stuff like that.

Another important aspect (at least from personal experience, ymmv) is keeping the hobby a hobby - what I mean by this is not falling into the trap of perfectionism or productivity with it, keeping it light and fun. I now strongly believe that the brain needs something “inconsequential” on which to chew if only to remind it that not every stimulus it receives is do-or-die.

• Vanth@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    12 hours ago

Yoga/mobility/flexibility of some sort. Counteract the repetitive, static positions many of us hold during work hours.

• xmunk@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    12 hours ago

Cooking, it is satisfying enjoying the fruits of your labor and with cooking you can get that satisfaction every day if you choose.

• half coffee@lemy.lol
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    12 hours ago

It depends a lot on the person, but it always does me good to do something tactile after working all day on a computer. Cooking, baking, sketching, woodworking, Legos, hiking, that kind of thing. I’ve noticed it really helps me ground and be mindful.

• BlueÆther@no.lastname.nz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    12 hours ago

Lets all try beekeeping, it will teach you to:

• look
    • observe
    • think
    • take your time
    • gets you out doors