• @YoBuckStopsHere@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    121 year ago

That is why we have a down vote option which I highly recommend using for items such as this. The community controls what it wants to see.

• @trafguy@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      1 year ago

It isn’t exactly a matter of wanting or not wanting to see it. You know the addage “any news is good news?” By posting content that keeps a person and their commentary in the forefront of people’s minds, that person gains an audience. That audience will contain people who can be swayed by the snake oil, but who would otherwise be reasonable. Or in short, posting their content facilitates radicalization.

That said, while content from harmful influential people needs to be approached with caution, I don’t see this as promoting Trump’s action/behaviors. To me it reads more like a “not the onion” headline. I’d be disappointed if anyone felt that the death penalty was warranted for late tax filing, but I suppose it’s possible.

Does Lemmy have a way to filter keywords? It would be helpful for people to be able to blacklist keywords so a user could choose to avoid seeing, for example, news about Trump or content with sensitive topics.

• @mystik@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        71 year ago

We need that slashdot system of vote + mark “insightful”, “flamebait”, “funny”, etc etc. add more categories as necessary so posts can be scored on multiple axes.

link
          fedilink
          English
          31 year ago

Sounds good to me, as long as there’s a way for instances/users to disable those filters. Since they’re more in-depth/granular, I suspect engagement with them would be lower, so there’s a higher risk of a smaller minority using it to dictate the conversation. But I’d definitely be interested in seeing that in action. It could be really helpful for giving people tools to shape their feed.

• @gAlienLifeform@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        21 year ago

Do you really think if a Lemmy instance or vanity fair banned anything about Trump it’d make him less influential? Maybe if there was a media wide blackout, but so long as Fox News exists and asshole oligarchs can buy all sorts of giant megaphones to push their messages, I think the rest of us only have a choice in whether we offer dissenting opinions or stay silent

link
          fedilink
          English
          31 year ago

I generally agree with you. I don’t know that it matters so much whether articles are posted, it matters more that people continue to speak against the ideology and don’t allow fascists to take the stage. Seeing others’ support a cause lends it credence. Seeing that a cause exists lends some, but not as much as active support would. Seeing people voice disapproval helps to take away that credibility.

That said, the principle generally makes sense that spreading an ideology’s message helps that ideology spread. The impact of posting an article on Lemmy is likely to be small, but non-zero. It’s a matter of providing access to a fresh audience. Fox’s viewers are thoroughly saturated with hateful rhetoric already, so there aren’t many left to radicalize who can be reached by that message. Exposing a fresh audience to the content expands its reach and potentially radicalizes new people. Plus, exposure to new hateful messages can deepen the entrenchment of those who are already caught in the web.

• @gAlienLifeform@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            11 year ago

Upvoted for a thoughtful reply, and I think your point about “providing access to a fresh audience” is a good one in theory, but I don’t know if this article is really spreading the ideology’s message. It’s reminding us that one prominent proponent of that ideology is still out there and saying stuff, but the framing of it is pretty explicitly “hey, look how hypocritical the fascist tax cheat presidential candidate is being again”.

Honestly, I’m not sure if I would’ve written it because anybody who would be convinced by this should already know all this stuff, but I think this author was at least trying to do the right thing here, and I don’t think this is anywhere near as harmful as, for example, bending over backwards to make Trump seem like a normal politician and rephrasing his quotes so they sound less insane like I’ve seen a lot of outlets that desperately want to be considered politically neutral do.

• b000urns
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      1 year ago

and a very handy “block” button too!

• DMmeYourNudes
      link
      fedilink
      English
      21 year ago

Dude, you posted it. If you recommend downvoting the post, delete it.

link
        fedilink
        English
        31 year ago

This isn’t reddit where they inflated the upvotes. You all control if something gets pushed through to the lemmy servers homepage or not.

• DMmeYourNudes
          link
          fedilink
          English
          21 year ago

reddit doesn’t inflate the upvotes lol. they, for years, deflated the votes to make smaller communities appear bigger compared to the main subs.

• DMmeYourNudes
              link
              fedilink
              English
              edit-2
              1 year ago

That’s not the same as inflating scores, and that’s what the feature is designed to do, make smaller communities more visible. The didn’t remove hot or rising to make it either. This is a wild conspiracy you’ve manufactured here, considering they explained why they made these changes when they made them.

link
                fedilink
                English
                11 year ago

I’m acting like the moderator of this community who is trying to grow the community with content people want to discuss and share.

• @Master@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        31 year ago

He is recommending if you dont like the post downvote it. Also if you dont like it… dont open it.

• DMmeYourNudes
          link
          fedilink
          English
          -11 year ago

do you even realize why people don’t want to spread this kind of content?

• @Master@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            61 year ago

I understand I just think your argument is weak for it. You are telling someone to self censor news they post and you could just as easily self censor news you read.

If it’s such a trigger topic for you that you lash out on someone posting news about it then maybe you need to self evaluate and make better choices about what news you take in.

• DMmeYourNudes
              link
              fedilink
              English
              -41 year ago

You are telling someone to self censor news they post and you could just as easily self censor news you read.

the problem isn’t the news i as an individual am reading. you do not understand the problem.

• DMmeYourNudes
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  -51 year ago

so you’re just oblivious to the last 8 years of US politics. okay.

• @Master@lemmy.world
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    41 year ago

I’ve been around the past 8 years. I’m just not trying to bury my head like an ostrich because I cant control what I read.

I get the argument that we shouldnt be revering these people by continually discussing them. But my beliefs are more along the lines that history should be discussed and the action of these people should be discussed so it stays in the forefront and people know.

• @Master@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            61 year ago

Cool, I mean as long as you are not implying OP should delete his post because you dont like it then I wont tell you that you could also just not to open it.