• @rab@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    153 months ago

Why shouldn’t I hate Christians? Or Muslims? They cause nothing but pain in this world

• @rab@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        73 months ago

Yeah that’s fair. I still don’t like to get very close to religious people though just due to past trauma in my life.

• @CableMonster@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              -43 months ago

The lie the new atheist movement led everyone to believe was that religion is the problem, and that when we get rid of religion then everyone will be happy and get along. America is the furthest from religion it has been in its history, are things going great?

• @Rivalarrival@lemmy.today
                link
                fedilink
                English
                33 months ago

On issues motivated by religion, yes, America is moving in the right direction. LGBT acceptance, reproductive rights, etc.

• @CableMonster@lemmy.ml
                  link
                  fedilink
                  -23 months ago

The whole culture is influenced by religion, its not just paticular issues. I would argue that america is literally falling apart right now, and we are in for some serious issues. I understand that much of it can be associated to other things, but I think much of it has to do with loss of purpose and morals.

link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    23 months ago

I can see why you would think that society is failing. You are religiously motivated, and religion consistently falls on the wrong side of issues. As mentioned, LGBTQ. Society is rapidly improving for transgender individuals, despite religiously-motivated efforts to block and reverse such progress. To the religious, this is a failure of society, a degradation of morality.

To trans individuals, their friends and family, it’s a sign of improvement, and cause for hope.

Same with reproductive rights. Non-religious people believe that banning abortion creates more tragedy than it prevents. Religious people believe the opposite. So when Ohio, Kansas, and every other state that has asked the question has arrived at a pro-choice answer, religious people think it a failure, and non-religious think it progress.

Religion is losing control of the people. To the religiously-controlled, that’s a bad thing. To the non-religious, it’s a welcome relief.

• @rab@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        03 months ago

Probably not possible to accurately know. Death tolls from all major offenders in the millions

• @CableMonster@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          -83 months ago

Yeah exactly. If you look at the top bad guys of last century, the names that will roll into your head should be; stalin, mao, hitler, pol pot. And what you will notice as none of those guys had a paticular religion and were maybe even anti religion. So the idea that religion is the thing that causes the harm doesnt make any sense.

• @EndlessApollo@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                23 months ago

Hey look, Christians conveniently claiming that Christians they don’t like aren’t really Christian!

I really need to learn some slurs for Christians and start using them more

• @Blue_Morpho@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                13 months ago

In the private Tabletalk interviews Hitler talked about his deep Christian beliefs, which he had always talked about publicly. He wanted to create a German National Christian church in the same model that England has its own national Christian Church with the King as the head. (Anglicans).

If Hitler wasn’t Christian, then British Anglicans (the majority of all Christians in Britain and North Ireland) aren’t Christian either.

• @CableMonster@lemmy.ml
                  link
                  fedilink
                  13 months ago

If he wanted to create a national “church” then it would have been a church to use as a tool/organization, and he was still not a christian. Which would still be the attempted destruction of the church.

• @rab@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            63 months ago

Christianity has killed way more than those individuals could ever dream of

• @rab@lemmy.ca
                link
                fedilink
                63 months ago

What about two commandments for cheating on your wife? A greater sin than murder lol

It only exists to control people

• @CableMonster@lemmy.ml
                  link
                  fedilink
                  -83 months ago

I will tell you this once because I feel like I am going to waste my time, but maybe it will stick. Christianity has a bunch of rules, and it has nothing to do with controlling people, it has to do with the best functioning society and what is actually good for people. It is the reason why western civilization has done so well for so many centuries. Things like cheating on your wife is bad for society and for the individuals, that is why it is prohibited. My comment is an outside observation of what the religion of christianity does, other religions have different features.

link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    53 months ago

Christianity has a bunch of rules, and it has nothing to do with controlling people,

The rules of Christianity aren’t written in the Bible.

• @TexasDrunk@lemmy.world
                    link
                    fedilink
                    33 months ago

That’s why you’re not allowed to eat shrimp or wear cotton polyester blends. It’s also why you can beat your slaves but not kill them. It also caused the crusades, Salem witch trials, justified slavery in the US, justified the prohibition against interracial marriage, started the KKK, actively works to have women killed if they have a non viable fetus, actively works to kill homosexuals who won’t stay in the closet, burns books, is currently committing genocide in Central Africa, molests little boys, caused the Bosnian Genocide, preaches “love thy neighbor” while lynching folks, celebrates when a trans person is shot, sends people to conversion camps that literally tortures them, molests even more kids, blames weather events on gay people, and comes to my fucking house, right to my fucking door, to try to tell me that I need to accept Yeshua ben Yosef or their magic fairy that they don’t have any real evidence of is going to spank me.

I don’t need that kind of hate to tell me not to go around murdering people. I already don’t do that. I don’t need it to tell me not to rape. The Bible says that’s cool as long as I pay her dad but I’ll go a step further and just not rape anyone. I certainly don’t need that jackass Paul telling me anything because he didn’t teach the same thing Yeshua ben Yosef taught, but there’s a whole shit pile of his rules and regulations in the New Testament. And if I wanted a drugged out weirdo telling me about the end times I’d go listen to Crazy Tommy talk about his vision of the Neverending Story while he’s dropping acid.

Practice your religion. If it keeps you from raping and killing then I’m all for it. But practice it in your closet, not on the digital street corner for all to see. Because if you do that then you already have your reward.

• @lemmywinks
      link
      -253 months ago

Christians and religious people in general make up a substantial portion of charitable work around the work. So I think that easily disproves your claim that they cause nothing but pain.

Really your statement just comes across as childish and uninformed probably because of the large amount of propaganda you consume from places like this.

Why shouldn’t you hate 55%+ of the world? Do you really believe more than half the people in the world contribute nothing but pain?

Also why didn’t you include Jews? They’re the root of Abrahamic religion and currently the “Jewish homeland” is engaging in genocide.

It’s just silly but also worrying that you could have such a skewed view of reality.

• @rab@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        3 months ago

I also feel the same about Jews. There aren’t very many religious beliefs I am tolerant of.

Charity and religion have nothing to do with each other btw lol. People can be charitable without being religious.

Christians, for example, are only “charitable” because they are trying to recruit members. Do you have any idea how much wealth is sitting at the top of the catholic church hierarchy?

• @rab@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            edit-2
            3 months ago

You already said it yourself, the majority of the world is religious. The two things aren’t correlated though.

Now google “residential schools” or “the crusades” for example lol

• @lemmywinks
              link
              -203 months ago

Apparently you didn’t read any of the hundreds of studies mentioned there showing religious people are more charitable.

• @rab@lemmy.ca
                link
                fedilink
                edit-2
                3 months ago

Yeah to recruit members, it’s just a business.

Ever been to eastern Europe and visited the fancy gold plated cathedrals? Notice who is driving the new Mercedes s550 parked in the parking lot, and notice what the church attendees are driving. Charitable my ass.

• @lemmywinks
                  link
                  -113 months ago

You have anecdotal claims. They don’t rise to the level of proof that the studies I mentioned do. Your claim is easily proven false, it doesn’t matter if you can’t accept that.

• @exanime@lemmy.today
                    link
                    fedilink
                    93 months ago

You have anecdotal claims. They don’t rise to the level of proof that the studies I mentioned do.

What studies? You posted a Google search and have made about a dozen claims with no backing in his thread alone

• @rab@lemmy.ca
                    link
                    fedilink
                    edit-2
                    3 months ago

Well, go give poland a visit, it’s not the watered down version of christianity that americans are subjected to. They literally run the entire country. That’s what happens when you let religion take over.

I’m not downvoting you btw, it’s kind of refreshing speaking to a religious person on lemmy haha

• @pop@lemmy.ml
                link
                fedilink
                63 months ago

my brother in hell, if I believed in religion, and my religion says giving some amount to it or someone else gets me express pass to heaven, i’d be donating like crazy too. I’d be donating more if I know I’ve done horrible things and need more “blessing.”

The charity doesn’t negate the bad things religion has done.

• @gdog05@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              73 months ago

If Christians didn’t hamstring non -Christian groups and government services at every turn, there would be no need for these charities and/or the most popular charities would not be the ones feeding bibles to starving people.

• @cosmicrookie@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                53 months ago

I dont mind Christians being charitable. I do oppose them using it to recruits or to pressure people in need to listen to their preachings. That’s not charity that is exploitation. True charity wants nothing in return.

• @ZILtoid1991@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        63 months ago

Religious charity work is a recruitment tactic. It exploits the vulnerable, converts them into religious people and voters. And by voting for the right, they’ll contribute to the rotting of the very same social services that churches exploit.

I work as a desk clerk in a Hungarian social institution, and the people that should be responsible for mental health instead more preoccupied with converting people to some form of christianity, all while we supposed to be “secular” on paper.

Religion and austerity are good friends.