• @GluWu@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      4 months ago

I remember grocery shopping as a kid filling the cart completely full and when we went through the register it was over $100 and my mom was going jeez that’s a lot of money for a lot of food. It took 3 people several trips to unload the car.

Today I go through the self checkout, get a few frozen meals, some store brand cookies, and a case of cheap beer for $80. I can carry the two bags and beer with one hand.

• @ThirdWorldOrder@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        184 months ago

I’ve been going to Costco every week for several years. Pre Covid my big trips were around $350. Yesterday I went and got some beer, wine, and some beef jerky and it came out to $350

My big cart days are a lot closer to $700 too now. Certain items I remember being $10 are now $16-18. It’s insane.

• AwkwardLookMonkeyPuppet
          link
          fedilink
          English
          134 months ago

We just had a $595 sticker shock at Costco a few days ago. I’m pretty sure the same amount of stuff would have been $350 a couple years ago.

• @Mouselemming@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        84 months ago

Just a note here, I bet your mom wasn’t buying “dinners,” she was buying “ingredients.” Ingredients take up a lot more space in the cart per dollar spent. Sometimes that’s because you pay a premium for prepared foods, (flour vs cookies) and sometimes it’s because there’s inherent waste, like onion skins, and both ends of that head of celery, and the bones of the whole chicken, and the stem, seeds, and vacant space inside a bell pepper. Also, not judging the beer, but in my childhood Dad bought all the alcoholic beverages from the liquor store in a separate trip. So it wouldn’t have been in the grocery bags, nor on that receipt.

Inflation is real. But it’s important to:

A. Make accurate comparisons

B. Value the work that went into turning those ingredients into dinners.

• @Trainguyrom@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        34 months ago

I’m really weirded out because I strongly remember averaging $100/week grocery trips as a kid, and now that I have my own family we’re averaging $100/week. Checking a CPI calculator I should be spending ~$180/week with the exact same spending habits

• @KevonLooney@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        24 months ago

They’re raising the prices because we’re buying “frozen meals, cookies, and beer”. All of that can be made at home for cheaper. Well, the beer and cookies may cost the same but they will be twice as good.

Figure out what is your biggest purchase and find the recipe for it. Pasta, Indian food, cookies, and even beer can be made at home if you know what you’re doing.

Prices were lower before because everyone knew they could probably whip up something similar. If you have a bag of flour, some butter, and some sugar you can basically make half of the things at the grocery store.

• @GluWu@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          14 months ago

I guess I don’t buy frozen “meals” I buy frozen prepared meat. I eat meat everyday as my main meal. It’s a lot of work to keep meat in daily servings frozen and then prepare that everyday as well. There are a few things I make that I can freeze in daily portions like shredded beef or pork, or just chicken thighs/breast that I’m just going to fry and sauce.

Premade cookies are my vice. I like switching things up and there are a bunch of different ones. Plus they’re my snack that can just stay in the unsealed package so I can grab a couple anytime throughout the week. The Walmart brand are only $2.50 per package and the knock out thin mints are a good as the “real” one. 100% worth it, I can’t make those. Or many of the others like store brand oreos. I occasionally get a craving for real chocolate chip cookies. So I make a huge batch and consume it in an unhealthy amount of time.

• Dharma Curious
    link
    fedilink
    894 months ago

Surely women also love seeing large rocks fall into a lake from great height, right? This has to be just a human love.

• @hydrospanner@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      184 months ago

In this case it’s funny…if the person asking that were a white straight guy asking about any other group, folks would be getting out their pitchforks.

• @mapiki
      link
      23 months ago

Hehehehehe sounds like satire as you point this out to how often the opposite happens

• Echo Dot
    link
    fedilink
    764 months ago

If there is a fire it must be bothered. It must be prodded several times and sticks need adding to it. The fire cannot be trusted not take care of itself.

• AChiTenshi
    link
    fedilink
    674 months ago

I was going to say all men are different and you can’t find something that will appeal to them all.

But then sploosh.

• @Smokeydope@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    4 months ago

Successfully unsticking your balls from an uncomfortable position in public with only minor leg motions

• @starman2112@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    4 months ago

Hitting something with a ranged attack. Doesn’t matter the target, doesn’t matter the projectile. Basketball at hoop, dart at dart board, pee at poo stain, bb gun at empty can, snowball at tree, bullet at bullseye, it’s all the same to us

• @funkless_eck@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      344 months ago

I’m so baffled that most people reading this don’t get its satire of a lot of comics, sci-fi, video games, etc but with the genders reversed and people thinking it’s a reasonable position.

The author isn’t being literal, they are making a joke about men who unironically say this and expect it to be considered normal.

Please don’t yell at me for this I am just the messenger.

• @The_Tired_Horizon@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        114 months ago

That’s because there is good satire, and pretty often rubbish niche satire. Satire usually relies on everyone being in on the joke, accepting the ludicrousness of it. Political satire is good at this, gender stereotype satire is pretty deep psychologically layered stuff. Most people are not psychologically trained, or even people watchers. So the satire gets missed.

link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          4 months ago

To me, trying to be dispassionate here, that’s also an issue with capping tweets.

In a social media feed such as (pre-Elon) Twitter, if one were the depicted author one would expect ones followers to know you are a successful illustrator, political essayist, social commentator and published author on the topics of sexual violence in culture and an NEA fellow off the back of your successful graphic novel, putting the context of the original tweet in perspective and making the satire very obvious.

To be a little less dispassionate and a little more arch: isn’t the burden of that on the reader, not the author?

• @Misconduct@startrek.website
            link
            fedilink
            edit-2
            4 months ago

Man no get satire so satire bad! Man over analyze reason instead of just accepting it not for man and moving on! Grunting noises or something!

• As a man, I feel personally attacked and it’s glorious. Most of the arguments between my wife and I are me over analyzing things.

I hope the author (if they’re actually writing something) goes hard on that concept.

• @The_Tired_Horizon@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            44 months ago

To be a little less dispassionate and a little more arch: isn’t the burden of that on the reader, not the author?

Yes and no.

We have limited cognitive abilities as humans. With every bit of information on social and regular media screaming for our attention its easy to miss the nuance. Add to that even the difference in culture in countries side by side there can be barriers to this absorption generated by our various cultures. You have to actively break from cultural norms to explore these other ideas and philosophies.

Might well be a little too deep for “I dont know any men” type memes… 😅

link
              fedilink
              24 months ago

A fair point but also, if one wants to say “hey they didn’t give context to their joke, when the poster deliberately removed it from its contextual home!”, there’s nothing that can stop them, but also, they shouldn’t be surprised to find people asking them to understand the context before complaining about the lack of it.

Consider something like “I didn’t know Stevie Wonder was blind, and it’s therefore not my fault that I didn’t get the joke about Stevie Wonder being blind.”

Like, sure, maybe it’s not, but also, it would hamper any joke if you had to explain all context.

A rabbi, a priest, and an Iman walk into a bar (a rabbi is a spiritual leader and officiant in the Jewish faith, Judaism is a monotheistic religion, a religion is a set of beliefs that characterize a worldview including but not limited to spirituality, ethics, morals, social conduct and worship of divine beings…)

• @pantyhosewimp@lemmynsfw.com
              link
              fedilink
              04 months ago

Here’s a reward: 🎖️

You have the first correct use of “nuance” I’ve seen/heard in the last 50 uses of the word.

No, I’m not being sarcastic. I mean it.

My comment is a tangent and is not directly related to the ongoing discussion.

• ℛ𝒶𝓋ℯ𝓃
      link
      fedilink
      294 months ago

Very religious single mother with lots of money from a divorce has a daughter, sends her to a girls-only boarding school, she studies theology and joins a convent, becomes a nun - now you have a thirty-something year old woman who has never known a man on a personal conversational basis (may have seen/heard them in passing, possibly a teacher or church leader as well).

(This is most likely not the case and purely exists as a ridiculous but possible answer to your question.)

• Captain Aggravated
      link
      fedilink
      English
      124 months ago

What you’ve never encountered one of those “went to an all-girls school then got a job at a daycare” chicks?

• @LemmyKnowsBest@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        44 months ago

well the closest I ever got to that was having an all-consuming hobby of attending aerobics classes and there were no men anywhere and I was so sexually frustrated. Had no idea how to meet men cuz all I wanted to do is go to a aerobics classes.

LPT for men: If you want to meet tons of thirsty women, go to aerobics classes.

• @Hadriscus@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        4 months ago

Single-sex schools still exist ? where ? I know a few people who went to those but they’re in their 70s now